The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Choosing between SMP cal 1120 vs GMT co-axial

: Hi .-

: I want to buy an omega watch; the model that I
: like the most is the classic 2531.80.00. But
: since it an expensive item and I won’t be
: able to buy another watch for a long time
: and I doubt which would be a better buy
: compared to the following model: 2535.80.00.
: Caliber: Omega 2628, Self-winding
: chronometer, Co-Axial Escapement movement
: with rhodium-plated finish

: Please help me decide on which should I buy
: considering that the watch mainly as a dress
: watch (no extreme activities). Which
: movement is more reliable and accurate?
: Which would need less maintenance? Are there
: good/ bad experiences with caliber 2628?

The co-axial caliber 2628 is superior. It is designed to have greater long term accuracy and require less maintenance than the 1120. Omega claims the 2628 can go 10 years between servicing since the co-axial escapement requires less lubrication and there is less friction between the internal parts (the 1120 is recommended to be serviced every 5 years, and a full servicing costs around $300 from Omega). Now, this 2628 caliber hasn't been around for 10 years, so no one knows with absolute certainty if Omega's claims are valid.

With the GMT model you are paying a hefty premium of $1400 ($1995 MSRP for the 2531.80 and $3395 MSRP for the 2535.80). For this, you get a sapphire display back, the co-axial movement, nicer applied markers (dial markers encased in metal), and the GMT function. You really have to ask yourself if this is worth the extra money. If you won't use the GMT function and don't care about the other stuff, it probably isn't worth it.

The 1120 in the 2531.80 is a very solid movement that has a good track record. It's really the basis for Omega's Seamaster line. Both movements are based on ETA movements, but both are highly modified for Omega before they become calibers 1120 and 2628. Naturally, caliber 2628 is modified much more extensively, hence its higher price.

Both are great watches so you can't go wrong with either one.

Now I'll turn it over to Georges to tell you that both watches have mediocre ETA movements that are marginal at best......

Messages In This Thread

Choosing between SMP cal 1120 vs GMT co-axial 2628
Re: Choosing between SMP cal 1120 vs GMT co-axial
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE