The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Have you seen this Mark ?

: Hello. Can anyone help me. I bought a watch
: described as being solid 18ct gold, but I am
: not sure this is true. Can anyone tell me
: from the pictures of this Omega De Ville
: whether or not both the watch and bracelet
: are likely to be solid gold, or as I fear,
: gold capped?

Hi Mark,

Wilst looking around for some info for you, I "found" a catalogue on my site. It dates from 1962 & has a watch VERY similar to yours.

click on the pic to see the catalogue.

If you click on the second scan in that catalogue, you will see a watch that is listed as being solid 18K & looks ALMOST identical to yours. ( I say ALMOST, because yours is NOT marked "Seamaster", whereas the catalogue version is NOT marked "de Ville" )

The bracelet looks identical to yours.

If you click on the 3rd scan, you'll see the same watch WAS available in a Gold Cap & Stainless versions.

So which is your version ? I afraid I can't tell you. I can't be as certain as Georges. All I can state is that it is a very good likelyhood that it is solid gold.

The only way to be 100% certain is to get a watchmaker to open it up & check the markings inside.
(I have to say, if it were my watch I WOULD NOT open her up JUST to get the info. I leave her as she is & wait for the next service. I'd then ask my watchmaker to give me the details whilst he was doing the service )

Are there any markings on the inside of the braclet clasp ? ( this may only conclusively prove the bracelet, one way or the other, but will also be an indication for the watch )

Regardless of whether it is solid gold or not, It's a great looking watch & appears to be exactly as it left the factory. Not bad for something as old as I am !

Thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE