The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Be careful !
In Response To: Omega case numbers ()

: I have a question about Omega case numbers. I
: see some cases, as in a Seamaster 300 have a
: 6 digit number like 166-024. I have one with
: a 5 gigit number like 52197. It's supposed
: to be from the 70's. How can I verify this?

Hi Rick,

as far as I know Omega started using the 6 digit case number system sometime in the early 60's.

I don't know of a 5 digit case number from the 70's. My initial feeling is that this is NOT correct.

A seamaster with a 5 digit case number "COULD/SHOULD" come from the early 60's

A word of warning on the 60's/70's Seamaster 300, it is probably one of the most faked watches available. Not all fakes are a couple of weeks old, there are fakes that are over 30 years old now !

So be very careful before buying a 300.

You might want to read Bill Sohne's excellent Seamaster 300 article which will give you a brief overview of the basic models.

If you find a 300 that you're interested in, please feel free to either post details here or contact me via E-mail.

The advantage of posting here, is that you'll reach a wider audience.

The disadvantage is that exactly THIS audience is probably your competition in eBay & you run the risk of alerting more potetntial buyers to a watch your interested in.

Finally, posting a picture ALWAYS helps.

I'm going to write a tutorial on how to do this soon.

All the Best

Steve

Messages In This Thread

Omega case numbers
Be careful !
Re: Be careful !
Fake !
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE