The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Don't forget to appreciate the "process" here! *LINK*
In Response To: Questions about first watch ()

Re-reading your Post a second time after seeing some of the response, I think my first piece of advice would be to wait a month before you make a decision. Watch the Posts here, ask questions as ones that interest you come up, go out, look, come back, ask your own questions.

One of the things I think people miss out on because they don't realize it's there for them is the whole value of "process." How many watches are you gonna buy like this in your life? I'm not worried that you'll "get it wrong." I just don't want you to miss the joy of researching, trying, day dreaming, critiquing, et cetera.

Well, okay: Once you're "in," you may well end up making future buys like this. But that's another story.

Right now, you might say that a GMT isn't of interest because you don't travel. But you might just like the novelty of it. Or you might say that the co-axial movement, and what it means vis-a-vis Omega is a draw for you simply because it is unique (I don't know that it's been out long enough to accept whole cloth the maintenance theories).

Some of this stuff is cost versus benefit. But much is not.

When I saw your Marathon SAR reference, I was inclined to suggest Marathon TSAR, as it will be more durable for rough use and it will sit and wait for you w/out needing date change and time resetting after a day or so -- like a mechanical will. On the other hand, I don't treat my Seamaster gently, nor do I take it off for much of anything.

If I can read between the lines on Keith's post, a quartz may be right from a "practical" standpoint. But once you're in this league, it is considered "the low end of the club," as one of my area dealers said (he notes that less than 10% of his Omega watches sold are quartz models). So, image and resale.

When you say you like the Seamasters, why--? Is it the bezel? for image or function? How and where will you wear it? Bracelets are pretty common, but if you want something like James Bond will be wearing this Thanksgiving, you might be looking at a leather strap. And even all Seamasters are not alike w/in a series. For example, the blue 2531.80 features hands and a dial that are almost impossible to read in certain lighting conditions; it's brother, the 2254.50 borders on being too tool-like.

Brett, I'm darn glad you're here. And again, my first recommendation: Ask more questions. We want you to be more than happy; we want you to become passionately evangalistic!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE