The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Actually, false advertising is an FTC matter

Agree or disagree, I appreciate you weighing in on this, Eric. Always.

Again-- I'm letting this play out in time in order to address it personally, at appropriate levels. My reason for sharing these concerns here is that this is an area of experience (and, frankly, passion) that I bring to Chronocentric, much as I have come to value what so many of you bring in terms of historical knowledge, technical understanding, and price comparisons.

At a certain point, this ceases to be a matter of speculation (your thoughts on Darth Vader versus mine), and one of law. Specifically, the Federal Trade Commission, in response to your reference to "false advertising claims."

My concern is as a consumer. Track eBay auctions and tell me that the 2537.80 w/ the mere addition of a few 007 logos is no more valuable than a 2531.80 in similar condition. For that matter, does the (in my opinion) better 2254.50 Seamaster sell more volume than the 2531.80 "James Bond Choice"?

Is it okay to change the caseback, dial, and clasp on a 2531.80 and sell it as a 2537.80, then?

The point of comparison is that Omega SA is representing even now, as I write this, that the DeVille 4832.51.31 is part of its "Watch Selection James Bond." As we've talked about in other matters here on this Forum, that makes it reasonable to infer that this is a watch that is or will appear on the James Bond character in the film.

And you'd better believe that that affects the value of the watch you own that does have this association, and doesn't help a lick the watch you have that does not have this association.

That's part of why I care.

Beyond this, if any old watch can be called "a James Bond watch," then why limit it to Omega? There are some great looking CTI watches out there that folks have shown me: At 20 feet away, it looks a lot like my 2531.80 Seamaster. So, let's forget the money Omega puts into product placement and let CTI lay claim, too -- since, after all, James Bond is a fictional character.

It doesn't work that way.

I'm not saying this is true for everyone, but I wouldn't own a 2561.80 or a 2551.80, despite these being merely mid-sized versions of "the" Bond watches. Omega can't and doesn't say they are Bond watches, because they didn't appear in the films. Same rules should apply to the DeVille here. And if you want to buy a mid-sized to satisfy your Bond affinity interests, that's fine: But we need to respect you enough to inform you that it's a mid-sized version of a watch that appeared in the films, and not the same as the watch that appeared in the films.

Bottom line: This is FrankenAdvertising in my mind.

Once more, Eric, thank you for your contribution to moving this dialogue forward. I absolutely appreciate and have benefited from your technical wisdom here, so it's nice to be able to give something back from the intellectual properties and commerce disciplines.

Link to "Watch Selections James Bond": On Omega SA website

Link to FTC website: U.S. Federal Trade Commission

Link to my Omega Seamaster 2531.80 review: Bond's second Omega
Link to my Omega Seamaster 2541.80 review: Actually-- Bond's first Omega
Link to my Omega Seamaster 2561.80 review: Mid-sized version of 2541.80

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE