The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: G-forces
In Response To: G-forces *PIC* ()

The 5000 G force referred to is an instantaneous SHOCK or impact load, and has NOTHING to do with the speed that you turn a steering wheel on any type of equipment. The maximum G force that a human being can withstand (with special training, no less) is 9 G's in fighter aircraft like the F-14 or F-16. At that point the weight of the blood in your body is 9 times as much as usual, and it can't flow up to your head anymore.

Also at 9 G's, a two hundred pound man has 1800 pounds of force weighing down his body, and can barely move.

I doubt that driving a piece of equipment with a steering wheel 8 hours a day would even generate 2 G's of force, and if it got to that I would think your arm would fatigue long before you could exert enough load on your watch to do anything. One of the Omega ambassadors also happens to be Michael Schmacher, and I'm sure what his watch goes through in the 24 hours at Le Mans is WAAAYYY worse than 8 hours on an earth mover.

The 5000 G rating is derived from a drop of a certain height (perhaps one foot or one meter) onto different surfaces, such as wood, cement, or something really hard like ceramic tile. The harder the surface, the higher the instantaneous G load, which is only acting on the watch for a few thousandths of a second.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE