The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Great Explanation, Sam...
In Response To: Great Explanation, Sam... ()

OK, so let us say that my watch is held at a distance h from the ground, that this ground, depending on its nature, offers a cushion the thickness of which is x, before the fall of the watch comes to a stop.
The KE of the watch when it hits the floor equals its potential energy when I drop it.
This energy equals the work of a stopping force F applied on the watch while it crosses the cushion.
That gives m g h = F x.
m g h = m gamma x
h =(gamma/g) x
Gamma is the max acceleration that the watch may sustain, 5000g.
That gives h = 5000 x, so it confirms that the softer the ground is (the thicker the cushion), the higher I may drop my watch, and the ratio of the two is roughly 5000. So, if I drop my watch above a sponge that would squeeze a whole 10mm at the impact, I can drop it from 50m high(???). If I drop it above concrete or a tile floor that would squeeze only, say, 0.1 mm at the impact, I can only drop it from 5m before it is broken(???).

It is not easy to calculate. It is quite safe to neglect the friction of air while the watch is airborne, but what happens at the impact site needs many parameters to be properly defined, like the damper effect of the floor and its elasticity (because part of the energy at impact will be used to make the watch bounce some times). That revives some souvenirs of old, full of nasty things called differential equations that I do not (repeat: do not) want to get back into!!!

5 meters above a concrete ground? Sounds plausible, I think the movement may well survive that, but logically something has to break: the crystal, the bezel, the crown shaft... It also depends onto which part of the watch it falls.

I need volunteers for confirming my results... anyone? ;-)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE