The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: cost of ownership
In Response To: cost of ownership ()

: Hello all,

: I have several questions about the cost of
: ownership of the Omega Sea Master.

: 1. For the quartz model how long does the
: battery typically last? Assuming it has to
: be sent to an authorized Omega dealer how
: long does it take to get the watch back and
: how much does this bit of maintenace cost?

Omega USA claims batteries last 2-3 years and a routine quartz servicing takes about 2 weeks. Cost is about $150 for the full servicing, which would include polishing the bracelet, pressure testing for water tightness, replacement of all gaskets, and battery replacement. This full servicing is only recommended at every OTHER battery change, so you can have your battery changed locally by a qualified watchmaker.

Some people never bother with the full servicing described above and just pay their local jeweler/watchmaker for battery replacement, which makes owning a quartz watch very cheap.

: 2. For the mechanical models, I'm under the
: impression that the watch should be sent in
: every 3-4 years for a check-up, lube, etc.
: How long does this take and how much does it
: cost?

Omega USA claims 6-8 weeks for the full servicing of an automatic watch, and the cost is $275-$300. The extra cost includes the replacement of all lubricants and any worn or damaged internal parts, along with a factory regulation and testing the watch to make sure it is within COSC specs after the watch has been serviced. A typical Omega watch can go 5 years between servicings, while the newer co-axial models can go 10 years.

: I'm just wonder generally about cost of
: ownership of quartz v. automatic and how
: long I am without the watch during routine
: maintenance.

There is no question that quartz watches are more practical, since they keep better time and are easier and cheaper to maintain. However, if you want a TRUE Swiss timepiece that you can consider a "mechanical marvel" on your wrist, I'd buy the mechanical watch.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

-John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE