The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

That's a good question.

So is it fully fake or a frankenwatch? Either way it should not have that certificate but I ask the question for my own knowledge.

Hi Kevin, that is a good question. My answer would be it is a fake.

I cannot see anything at all that was used in a Seamaster 300. The case, dial, bezel ( probably hands - I haven't checked them closely ) are definately fakes. The movement was never offered in that model. So, although it is a genuine Omega movement, it is wrong. There is absolutley nothing in this watch that is correct.

IF the movement had been say a 565, that Omega had supplied in a Seamaster 300 case, then the answer would not be so black & white. At what stage does a badly restored watch cross the line between a frankenwatch and a fake ? I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer.

I think you have to look at each case & decide for yourself.

I'll give you a real life example. I know a German collector who had a 100% genuine Seamaster 300. It was old & battered. he sent it to Bienne, they said "we can't make this look like new without changing a LOT of parts". His reply was "give me a new case then". I saw what they swapped... case, bezel, crystal, crown, dial, hands, date wheel etc etc..... so what DID they use from the original watch.... the movement & movement ring... ( but they even overhauled the movement, so many of the parts where swapped out ).

For me, this is a very tough case. Is it now genuine ? You can buy most parts ( & genuine Omega parts - not copies ) for a Seamaster 300 & put one together in this way, is that genuine ? Where does one draw the line ?

This watch has been sold on, at least twice, to German collectors, they regard it as genuine & the price reflects that.

I'm not sure. I wouldn't buy it.

But back to the original watch. It is 100% fake, with a certificate stating that is it genuine. Someone is going to get burned on this one. The auction is a private auction, so you can't even warn the bidders. I KNOW the seller has been contacted by at least 2 Omega collectors, they have pointed out that it is 100% fake. The auction is still running :-(

Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE