The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Here is my conversational sized reply to Jorge...

Jorge Merino Posts: N E W M o d e l &endash; Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph [Mar 28, 2006 - 09:22 AM]

Not only does Jorge's wonderful press release posts make my 12" screen PowerBook's stumble due to their sheer size, they cause me to scroll even on my new 23" (1980 pixel wide) desktop LCD display.

Thus I offer my Conversational sized version of Jorge's post interspersed with my comments (as per usual)...

After the success of the 2005 Planet Ocean, Omega will introduce at Baselworld 2006 the Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph. Originally conceived as an evolution of the 1957 Seamaster 300 model, this second-generation Co-Axial Planet Ocean is further enhanced by a superlative column-wheel chronograph mechanism.

Well, I suspect my thoughts on the movement don't need repeating. I do hope that Omega is ready for the demand this model is likely to cause.

The Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph is available in two main color versions, either with orange highlights on the bezel, numbers, sub-dials and push-buttons or a black bezel and push-buttons with white dial details. A third option combines orange and white dial details with a black bezel and push-buttons. All versions of the Planet Ocean chronograph are housed in a 45.5mm case of stainless steel, which is polished and brushed. This model is water resistant to 600 meters.

The two main points of the PO Chrono (I suspect we'll use the POC as shorthand for this model) that I dislike are also likely no surprise to anyone. I would rather they didn't used a Broad Arrowed hour hand, which I continue to feel cover up too much of the subdial's for comfort. The 9 o'clock sub-dial, while an improvement over the "crosshair" of certain earlier c.33xx movements would still be much more attractive with a 60-20-40 subdial than the 60-15-30-45 markings in my opinion.

I'm not especially enamoured with the choice of hands for the sub-dials, but I'm at a loss to point to hands I'd like better. Perhaps the early Speedmaster dagger hands, I dunno... But not a big deal to me. I would also prefer the subdials were all the same size, but these aren't awful. I could live with them the way they are.

Positioned at 10 o'clock and embossed with the chemical symbol for helium "He", the helium escape valve allows any atoms of this gas to escape during decompression. This is a vital function when using a diving bell, as minuscule helium atoms are able to penetrate the case and could damage the watch when expansion occurs during decompression. The chronograph push-buttons, made of steel and decorated with a colored aluminum ring, are functional to 600 meter, while the domed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal has received an anti-reflective treatment on both sides for optimum clarity.

It will be interesting to see what the long term parts availability of these colored pushers will be. It's nigh impossible to find Colored Flightmaster pushers these days. Hopefully, Omega will produce a large run of spares for this model.

The matt black dial offers excellent contrast thanks to applied luminous hour markers and the use of Arabic numerals in either white or orange at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. The date window is positioned between 4 and 5 o'clock. The facetted rhodium-plated arrowhead hour and minute hands have SuperLuminova inserts and a highly visible orange tip further enhances the luminous arrowhead seconds hand. Along with the luminous dot on the bezel, the high visibility of the markers and hands are invaluable for measuring precise dive times, even when descending to the darkest depths of the ocean.

I do highly approve of the location of the date window. Easy to spot in a commonly used location, and they don't interfere with the sub-dials any.

Movement is the automatic Omega caliber 3313 with a power reserve of 52 hours.

Good healthy power-reserve.

The Co-Axial escapement, which is proprietary Omega technology, considerably reduces friction in the heart of the watch mechanism and offers improved long-term reliability and accuracy. A free-sprung balance further improves this COSC-certified chronometer. The column-wheel mechanism serves to perfect the chronograph's performance. I t ensures a smooth start to the sweep of the seconds hands when the chronograph is activated and provides precision stop and reset functions. The rhodium-plated movement has been given a luxurious finish and the bridges are decorated with attractive circular graining, Geneva waves and gold-plated engravings and the screw-down case back features a seahorse medallion.

One of the prettiest Hippocampus's ever crafted!

All three models are available on a comfortable satin finished stainless-steel bracelet with polished sides. The fold over safety clasp is secured with an easy to use release mechanism. These models are also available on a black rubber strap with either white or orange stitching, a plain orange rubber strap or the famous orange alligator strap. All straps incorporate a stainless steel fold over clasp.

If there is one model that I think will lag behind the others in popularity it's this flavor. I'm not particularly enamoured with it.

It will be interesting to see how this flavor of the c.33xx movement fairs with the likely high demand this model. If the reports of problems are few, it'll be interesting to see if I can get over the broad arrowed hour hand and the 9 o'clock subdial. Of course an attractive used price on the Sales Corner or on that bidding site we can't talk about might also aid the decision.

It certainly looks to be a very attractive implementation of what I would expect a PO Chronograph to look like. I suspect that Omega has a winner on their hands. The question marks I see are the remaining situation with the c.33xx movements, the lack of a smaller 42mm version (which might keep a lot of people from pulling the trigger)... Can Omega shrink the size of the case or is this a limitation of the movement's size?

Also, where are these models MSRP's going to be?

Thanks.

Thank you Jorge for posting these, as always and being so gracious when I shrink your work!

I should also add, since I posted this on TZ that Richard Gimmel emailed me with information that Omega in Bienne has recently had remanufactured coloured pushers and crowns for the Flightmaster, so that is welcome news for Flighty owners!

Jorge.

Cheers everyone, and fairly well done Omega... A few misses, but not bad overall.
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Messages In This Thread

New Planet Ocean Chronographs Annonced *NM* *LINK*
Here is my conversational sized reply to Jorge...
Nice!!!!
are the problems on the 33xx solved?
Dunno...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE