The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Here's one possible solution...
In Response To: Ultra-tight bezel ()

Ultra-tight bezel Posted By: Derek Date: 4/27/06 19:19 GMT

Can anyone advise me how to ease an ultra-tight bezel on a new seamaster?

Well, I don't know about just anyone...

My local agent tells me to "live with it"!

Time to start seeking out a new local agent!

Seriously... I had an ultra tight bezel on my Gallet Flying Officer Chronograph when I rirst received it... It was damn near seized up real good. I even had my local watchmaker, Watchmaker Dave take a look at her... He said he couldn't do anything for fear of damaging the bezel, etc...

So when I got home and thought about it, I remembered that I had always had a real high opinion of BreakFree CLP with regards to maintaining my firearms, so I went and pulled out my sidearm kit and pulled out my mini-bottle of BreakFree..

.68oz bottle of BreakFree CLP...

I figured I really didn't have anything to lose, so I put a bead of lubricant on the inner edge of the bezel at the joint where the crystal meets it. I put a bead from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock, from 4 o'clock to 6 o'clock, from 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock. Then I used the backing from a peel off label (in my case the otherwise discarded backing for one of my Brother P-Touch labels) and started working the lubricant down into the seam between the bezel and case... Once I worked in some of the lubricant, I started working the bezel back and forth. With not very much effort, I could feel the lubricant start to work on what was causing the rough and ragged movement of the bezel, and with more working back and forth, it quickly lessened and soon was completely smooth throughout the entire rotation of the bezel in either direction. I then wiped off the excess oil and carefully cleaned the watch using an old but clean T-shirt and Q-Tip's (Cotton swabs).

In fact, if I have any criticism of the Bezel as it sits now, it that it is too easy to accidentally brush the bezel and have it move unintentionally! It rotates so smoothly it's not terribly far from being able to spin!

So, to sum up... I used BreakFree CLP, which Cleans, Lubricates and Protects, according to their advertizing (and I'll attest to it), I don't know if "White Lightning" or other products would have done the trick or not. I used a certain amount, you might be better off using a smaller amount at first and ramping up with more lubricant as needed, as if you use too much and there is any leakage between bezel, case and crystal some might get into the movement or on the dial. Which would likely not be desirable.

I hope this is helpful!

Cheers!

-- Chuck

P.S. I should add that BreakFree CLP typically ships with a tiny Straw like applicator which can be affixed to the outlet of the dispensing cap. This allows one to very precisely control the amount and location that any lubricant is dispensed. Be sure to use it if you're going to try this method.

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE