The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

: Hi Steve
Hi Georges

: I have checked three years ago bidjan's website
I've never heard of Bidjan, do you have a link to his website ?

: where he proposed one for $1800 but with a
: very ridiculous warranty of 3 months.In 2005
: I rechecked the same item and saw its price
: at $3000!!! $3000 for a watch with only a
: three months warranty and I am not even sure
: it was correctly serviced. I also have seen
: one at Timeman unserviced and at $2500 with
: no warranty!!!!
The current prices you quote, seem to ( unfortunately ) be the current market prices on the websites that I check. Some eBay watches even reach these heights.

Those prices are irrealistic
: seriously especially when a watch is not
: serviced nor in perfect condition (not the
: smallest ding, scar and original dial and
: hands with original lume) and not
: warrantied.
I'm afraid as long as watches sell at these prices, dealers will set their watches at these prices. I'm sure dealers even mark them up a bit, to see how far they can go. So, I think these prices are realistic.

I don't buy watches at these prices but there seem to be plenty of people who do.

It is like restoring a car it
: will cost you more to restore and or repair
: a very average condition car than buying one
: in excellent condition, serviced and
: warrantied.
Not always. If the watch/car has a high enough market value & the purchase price is cheap enough, a full restoration CAN be the best way to go. A good example is my recent flightmaster/Bienne restoration. I reckon the total costs are still about $1000 under the market value of the watch.

Another example is a car that I own. I have owned it for almost 20 years now. I have "invested" about 3 times its market value in it.
Was it worth it ?

If I ever sell it, I will probably loose a lot of money, but ( here's the point ) it is NOT for sale.

I hope it will NEVER be for sale ( that's the plan anyway ). So it is almost irrelevant to me what the total cost is. BUT it is MY car, the paint is as I want it, the interior, engine, radio, chassis ( I have plastic coated it ) are as I want them.

I'm sure some car freaks will dislike MY car. I don't & my opinion carries alot of weight in my house :-)

: Now about Ebay,it is a buy at your own risk
: game,
Yes, I'm very aware of this.

most of the items have very often
: patined dials,unserviced movements
: (sometimes wrong movements),no
: warranty,unoriginal bracelet and buckles and
: sometimes you can have the baddest surprise
: like a ruin to restore.

I disagree with this statement. Please let me break it down.

most of the items have very often / I disagree TOTALLY with the word MOST there.
:- patined dials / not most of the watches I look at (or consider buying). & if they do, I factor this into the price.
:- unserviced movements / possibly, again I factor this into the price. But to be honest I'd rather buy a cheaper watch that MY watchmaker can service than a more expensive watch that has been serviced by a watchmaker that I have never heard of.
:- (sometimes wrong movements) / NONE of the watches that I consider have the wrong movement.
:- no warranty, / A warranty from a stranger in a forgien country is of little use to me.
:- unoriginal bracelet and buckles / Again, NOT the watches I look at, or I factor it into the price
:- and sometimes you can have the baddest surprise / with over 600 successful deals, this has only ONCE happened to me & that was my "fault". I should have looked at the pictures better.

I think the basic difference between us, in our opinion of eBay, is that your opinion seems to be that "most of the items are crap" - put in simple words.

My opinion is. Some items are crap. But there are some GREAT items out there. Educate yourself & you can find some great bargains.

After all, that is one of the reasons for Forums like this.

: like a ruin to restore.
Some people like doing this. If I buy a wreck ( car or watch ) & restore it, I KNOW who has done the work, how good it is & when it was done. Buying the results of anyone elses work can be a lottery. And, to be honest, I can't afford to pay the prices that some of the more "trustworthy" dealers charge.

: From an experience that happened to a friend
: who baught a datejust from a power seller
: and got burned.
Yes, that can happen. Maybe your friend should have done more/better research ?

It taught me some good things
: that not all people who are calling
: themselves "professionals" are
: really professionnals. They are not all
: proposing a real customer service (refund
: policy I don't call that customer service),
: no warranty (very often the item is sold in
: as is condition)and they are not watchmakers
: but collectors. An amateur however good he
: might be will never be considered as a true
: profesional.
I don't base my decisions on 1 case ( or a few cases). I have a feedback rating of over 550. I like eBay.

: Those are my thaughts and everyone can agree or
: disagree with them. (to take with two grains
: of salt)
I guess we will never agree on eBay.

: regards and have a nice day

: georges

All the Best

Steve

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE