The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Um, they aren't Mark IV hands either...

for you steve: bidjan's site and my response *LINK* Posted By: georges zaslavsky georg_zaslavsky@yahoo.fr> Date: 5/5/06 16:22 GMT

In Response To: I guess we have to agree to disagree. (SteveW62)

Hi

First as requested bidjan's site:

First as I pointed out, Bijan's name is Bijan, not Bidjan... I did point this out in my reply... It's usually considered impolite to mispell folks names repeatedly...

The 120 they had for sale has markIV hands instead of the large baton hands that equipped the model,

Um, I don't think so...

Ok, here is my Mark IV:

A Mark IV off of eBay:
Bijan's 120m/440ft:
One of Andy's 176.004's:
The 176.004 off of Eric So's site:
my 120m/440ft...
While the 120m/440ft that Bijan has isn't 100% correct, if my example, Eric's and Andy's are, clearly, they are not Mark IV hands. For Mark IV hands have white painted hubs, the one on Bijan's site has darker colored hubs to the hour and minute hands.

it is not a 100% original model and price is $3550!!!!!

It wouldn't seem that it's 100% original, if my example, Eric's and Andy's are anything to go by...

That is something that an interested collector would have to consider... The cost of a proper Hour and Minute hand from Watchco, Ofrei, or Larry Gearig, and the cost to have them swapped out.

As for the price, again, that's a _seeking_ price. I suspect that Bijan would sell for less.

About restoration it is up to the person to chose what suits her the most, of course very person has her own criteria of perfection and quality.

True.

What I meant by wrong movement is sometimes you find a 17 jewels movement in a watch when it was originally fitted with a 24 jewels one. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

That does happen, in person, on-line and on eBay. I would point out that this hasn't necessarily happened with either Bijan, Andy or Eric so to my knowledge.

For me great items and probably we will disagree here again, 100% original condition with a warranty and working perfectly well out of the box.

Which is fine if you can find 100% original perfect condition and wa warrantee. More power to you. I've been collecting actively since 1999 and there aren't a lot of watches with all three of your criteria out there. In fact, I've yet to run into one with a warrantee greater than four months.

I don't have the habit to buy each thing I see. I prefer to talk with my watchmaker and see what he proposes, this how I baught my markIV and my markII at very reasonable prices. I am not someone who rushes myself into immediate buying.

That is certainly one way of collecting... There are many different ways to gain enjoyment out of this hobby, any given way isn't going to be the best choice for everyone.

It is not the only bad case I know, I have heard several other cases but from my watchmaker. I think it is up to the inidvidual to buy what he thinks is best for him.

Agreed.

have a nice day

Have a great weekend!

regards

georges

Cheers and good hunting!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE