The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Some thoughts about the watch on eBay...
In Response To: need advice *LINK* ()

need advice *LINK* Posted By: chris copeland Date: 5/9/06 07:01 GMT

Hi Chris!

I currently own an X33, which is in NJ for warranty work.

Ouch! We all will keep you and your watch in our thoughts and prayers! (sorry but most of us have a low opinion of Omega/US-NJ's work and work ethic...)

I'm tempted by this seamaster,

Ti/Ti SeMPC. Great watch...

I am not a collecter, just looking for a good quality, light weight, reliable watch.

About the watch you're considering... Ok... Good Quality? Yes, the SeMPC is a great watch and most owners (like myself) consider it to be the best all around sports chronograph ever offered for sale bar none period. As for reliability, the Valjoux 7750 has a very good to excellent reputation for reliability, especially in it's Omega tuned c.1164 COSC trim.

As for light weight... My SeMPC, which is a Ti/Ti bracelet (sized to my 8" wrists) weighs in at around 142.7 Grams...

Dimensions of Selected Omega Chronographs...

You can look through the charts on that page to compare and contrast the Ti/Ti SeMPC with other Omega's...

Additionally, I do some weight comparisions with some other watches in my collection in this article on the SeMPC:

Revisited... Of Seamasters, Speedmasters & uddah t'ings...

A couple of things about the particular watch you're considering. The SeMPC being offered was sold in January 1994, which would make it an extremely early model (this is not a bad thing, just pointing it out). Because it's an early model, and the seller, while being very open and upfront on a great deal of topics about this specific watch, has not indicated any repair or service history on this watch. He is very upfront about the fact that this watch's seals are probably due or overdue for service and refreshing. I would take to heart his statement "in its current condition should not be worn for swimming or washing dishes". In fact, I'd not wear this watch when you're likely to sweat or when rain is forcast!

He also is very upfront and honest about the running accuracy of the watch he's offering: between 30 and 50 seconds per day fast. COSC is +6/-4 seconds per day by the way. This is another indication that the watch will likely need service (if it doesn't already) very soon.

The bracelet is sized to 6 3/4" to 7", which is fine if you have that size wrists or smaller, otherwise expect to need links. eMail me if you need a source to locate links.

I will say the watch is in excellent or better cosmetic condition, especially considering it's age. The seller has posted a multitude of high quality photos (better than most I see on eBay), and he seems to be genuinely upfront and honest about the watches condition, more so than most eBay sellers.

So to sum up... The watch looks good cosmetically, the seller seems to be very earnest, honest and upfront about the watch's history, That's the plus side. The down side is that the watch likely is in need of a service as it sits. Expect that to cost between $200 and $500. (It may be more but likely within that range, but I think that's a fair guestimate of the range).

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of bidding on this watch, just mentioning things you should consider before bidding. This model watch in this condition, but with fresh seals and running within or near COSC is probably worth the $1,850 he was seeking, and maybe more these days, but the service costs should be considered before bidding.

Does anybody know of a watch maker in the San Francisco bay area who could do the necessary service on this watch?

John's suggestion is a good one. I'll defer to him.

Since it is 12 years old, warranty considerations would seem not to apply.

No they wouldn't. I suspect this watch only had a 1 year warrantee back when it was made.

But the SeMPC is a great watch, this one just needs a little maintainence.

Any advice appreciated.

I hope this helps! Feel free to post follow-ups!

Chris

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE