The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Hopefully not Manos, The Hands of Fate! ;-)
In Response To: Question about movements ()

Question about movements

Posted By: manos

Hopefully not

Manos, The Hands Of Fate!

Date: 6/2/06 11:23 GMT

Hi everyone,

Hello Manos! I hope you don't mind my obscure pop culture references above. It's all in good fun!

I'm new to the forum and i recently discovered that watches interests my much more than i thought!

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here! This is likely the first big step to a much larger watch addiction.

I just graduated from university

Congratulations!

and my parents bought me a new Omega SMP chrono(2599.80).

Congradulations on both the watch and the cool parents!

My question is about the movements, mine has 1164 caliber but i saw an other model (2594.52) with the 3301 caliber.

Yup. The 2594.52 is a newer model with a different movement.

I think that there are some differences to chronograph.

The subdial layout is different, the movement is different and it has a different look to it, but the feature set is nearly identical and the operate nearly identically. You should have no reason to envy the newer model, in fact... You are nearly certainly better off with the movement/watch you have than the newer c.3301 movement.

Do you think 3301 caliber is so much better than the 1164 that i should go back to the dealer and take the other one instead??

No, absolutely not! In fact, I personally consider the c.3301, and it's c.33xx siblings, to be very troubled movement(s). The c.3301 is a very new movement compared to the Valjoux 7750 based c.1164. It has had lots of problems reported by owners. And while Omega has made changes to the production of this movement and this watch, the jury is still out as to if these changes have been effective, and to what degree they have been effective in addressing the reliability problems of the c.33xx movement. Certainly there are fewer problems being reported now a days compared to one two and three years ago, but problems are still being reported from time to time.

If you would like to read more about the c.33xx movement's problems, you may find this short list of c.33xx bookmarks which I have saved over the years to be a good jumping off point. Since I posted that list, I have added these entries that also may be of further interest to you:

Apart from the movement i love the way my bond's SMPC looks...

You will also likely find the updated version of one of my earliest watch related articles to be of interest: Revisited... Of Seamasters, Speedmasters & uddah t'ings...

I think you experts can help me.

Hopefully, we have!

Thanks in advance!!

Congratulations again on all of the above. Personally I think your parents did an incredible job with your graduation gift, and I would not give a moment's thought towards trading in your SeMPC in for any other model.

Best of fortune and Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Messages In This Thread

Question about movements
Hopefully not Manos, The Hands of Fate! ;-)
more thoughts
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE