The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Hi Eric,
In Response To: Hi Eric, ()

:
: Hi Eric,

Howdy, Steve!

: GREAT pics !!

Thanks much.

: Your watch looks to be in amazing condiion. Has
: the case been reworked or did you find it
: like that ?

I was fortunate enough to find it NOS. It still had the purple goo on the back.

: Have you noticed, there's quite a difference
: betwen our watches?

Yup. They're very different, other than th same case and, I believe even the same ref. 188.002.

: My dial is "brushed" blue. The brush
: strokes are all in a straight line running
: 12:00 to 06:00. The subdials are almost
: black.

Mine is a very dark grey (I believe Chuck calls it the "anthracite" model) with darker grey subdials. The texture is almost satin in appearance, which picks up light and color in such a way that it often takes on a blueish hue.
Here's another pic that shows it a bit better:

: My hour markers are "applied" chromed
: blocks & the hands on mine a quite bit
: shorter than yours.

: I believe both are 100% correct.

Yes, I believe they are and, along with the Lobster and the gold version of ours, represent the four horseman variations of Speesonics.

: Les Z refers to the different variations in his
: excellent review

: Click here to read Les's review

I remember reading Les's great review when I started searching for mine. Very informative and helped solidify the fact that I needed one.

: Funnily enough it is not a watch that gets
: featured much in the various catalogues that
: I have.

I've noticed that ;-) I think they only knocked these out for a few years and, as you said, they didn't make a whole lot of 'em.

: According to Omega SAGA 11,900 of these
: movements ( 1255 ) were made. _ So we have
: accounted for 3.... where are the other
: 11,897 ?

Hey, your French is better than mine! I missed that detail, but I apprecaite you pointing it out. I'm missing where the 3rd one comes from, though.

: As far as I know the 1255 was only ever fitted
: to the speedsonic, so that means only 11,900
: speedsonics were made.

To my knowledge, it never made it into another Omega but, the ESA 9210, upon which the 1255 is based, was also found in, of all places, a Longines. I wish I had kept better notes, because I can't seem to find where I got that info.

Even though, our versions pale in oddity to the Lobster version (don't tell Chuck, but I prefer the...subtler design of ours), the Speedsonic really is a rare and odd one, and it took some time for me to find mine. Regrettably(?), the condition of mine makes it tough for me to wear it often (which is counter to my general watch-wearing policy), but I always enjoy that hummmmm when I do.

: All the Best

: Steve

The same to you!

eric

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE