The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Pre-purchase dilemma
In Response To: Re: Pre-purchase dilemma ()

: Dear John and Joey

: Thanks a lot for your fast responses. Almost
: light-speed.

Ha, ha! I think Kohn deserves full credit for that....

: Actually I am looking for a watch for the rest
: of my life (this might be my most important
: buying criterion). I wouldn't buy a watch
: which couldn't potentially serve me for the
: rest of my life: There are still at least 50
: years to go.

: Therefore: Both watches would take the
: challange, right? Is the quality of the
: movement, its durability, the qualitiy of
: material and alloys inside equal between
: both mentioned watches?

: Regards,
: Stephan

Stephan, I agree with John. Both movements should last a lifetime. The only issue (that is even you can even call it an issue) with the 2500 is that there are B and C versions produced (don't know if Omega made an 'A' version). When buying an AT, make sure that it is a C. This shouldn't be a problem as long as your watch is new because Omega has ceased B production for about a year I think. I'm not familar with Rolex movements, but the Omega 2500C has a reduced the beat speed from 8(in the B version) to 7(in the C version) beats pre second to enhace life.... Less wear and tear.... Seeing that they did this, its obvious that the AT was made to last a lifetime.... The Rolex name already implies this.....

I should have brought this up in the earlier post, but..... The Explorer has a lot more lume than the AT (didn't know if this was going to be a factor in your decision making). This could be a good thing or a bad thing (again, I don't know much about Rolexes, but lume tends to blacken, or yellow after a looooooooong time, probably will over 50 years), so you'd probably want a redial after some time with the Explorer.... Which leads into my next idea, which John talked about: Watch Service. Again, I don't know about the Rolex half, but Omega recommends (only with co-ax movements) a 'decadely' overhaul. Most watches are serviced every 5 years, so the co-ax could save you more money in the long run.....

Again, just my thoughts.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE