The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Winding Problem! It's my first Omega, too

: Hi - I bought my first "expensive
: watch" that I just love looking at it.
: It's really nice and I like it a lot. It's a
: seamaster 2254.50. I got it from an online
: store. The problem that I have is winding. I
: wear it EVERYDAY and I know I don't move a
: whole lot because I sit staring at the
: computer all day long. So, I know I need
: more movement to keep the watch running,
: thus I've purchased a watch winder. I keep
: it in the winder at night when I sleep,
: running 100 seconds clockwise, pause for 300
: seconds, and 100 seconds counter clockwise.
: However, my watch somehow end up dead (not
: running) after 1 1/2 day. Can anyone help
: me? I certainly don't want to have to turn
: the crown every other day and I don't want
: to run it on the winder for hours exposing
: it to overstressing.

: Thanks for any help.

The first thing you want to do is make absolutely sure your watch is fully wound. Unscrew the crown and keep winding it until you hear a clicking noise as you turn (you may need to hold the watch close to your ear to hear this). The clicking noise is your watch's overwind protection mechanism engaging, meaning the watch is fully wound. At this point, you should have at least 42 hours of power reserve, so even if you just let the watch sit unworn it should still run for about 42 hours before it stops.

If you fully wind it, wear it daily, and keep it on a winder at night, then it should not stop again. If it does, the watch is defective and needs to be replaced or repaired.

I hope this helps.

-John

P.S. Your winder settings are like mine, so they are more than sufficient to keep your watch wound at night. My Bond Seamaster keeps excellent time at these settings, and it has never stopped running on me.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE