The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: John, To wind or not to wind?
In Response To: John, To wind or not to wind? ()

: I also have an ETA based Swiss watch with a
: regular, non-scew crown that I don't wear
: everyday, however, I do wind it everyday to
: keep it running. How unhealthy is it to wind
: it everyday? What would you say is better?
: To leave the watch alone and let it stop, or
: to keep it constantly wound and running?
: Actually, I rarely wear the watch more than
: once in two weeks, sometimes even once a
: month.
: I'm aware that the best alternative is a
: winder, however, I don't have one YET. Maybe
: I'll get myself one someday in the future.

: Common man

I have some automatic watches that I don't wear much, so these I simply keep in a watch box and wind them only when I plan to wear them. It depends on the age of your watch and how old the lubricants are, but the newer lubricants that are used in modern movements don't have the same problems of "gumming up"/coagulating like older lubricants did. So, you can let a watch sit for months without winding it, as long as it isn't an older model that hasn't been serviced in ages.

By not winding it for the sole purpose of keeping it wound, you may actually increase the time the watch can go between servicings. If the watch isn't running all the time, the parts aren't wearing as quickly. That's why the only watches that stay on my winders are the ones I wear at least a couple of days a week. The others I simply let run down and wind them when I wear them. This has never caused me any problems.

-John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE