The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Speedy Pro!!!!

Right now the only CURRENT Omega model I would consider buying is the Speedy Pro, though I'm looking at vintage versions as well. I have nothing against the Planet Ocean, but I think the Speedy Pro gives you more "bang for the buck". It has a better movement, it retails for $400 less than the PO, it has a chronograph function, and it has a proven track record of reliability and durability. I think the Lemania movement used in this watch is the best movement in the Omega catalog, and I doubt you'll find many people who will disagree with that. It has the longest track record of any Omega movement, and the watch itself has been around for decades with only minor changes over the years. This makes it an absolute timeless classic.

Hesalite vs. sapphire is a personal decision. You pay an extra $780 for the sapphire sandwich (crystal and caseback), so if you really love to see your watch's movement at work and you are prone to bumping your crystal into things, then you'll probably want this model (3573.50.00). Otherwise, the hesalite can easily be polished to remove scratches.

One thing to keep in mind regarding the co-axial escapement in the Planet Ocean is that it may not reduce servicing intervals the way Omega originally claimed. At first they claimed a co-axial could go 10 years between servicings, then they reduced it to 8, and in my last e-mail to them they responded with 6-8. In a later e-mail another person was told 4-6, depending on usage. So, there's a chance that co-axial watches will require servicing just as often as watches with traditional escapements. I suspect this is because the co-axial escapement itself requires very little lubrication and can go a long time between servicings, but it is still connected to a modified ETA movement that still requires regular servicing. Until we have more real-world data, we can't say for sure how long a co-axial can really go between servicings.

Good luck with your decision,
John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE