The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Warning - Omega servicing

Dear Omega customer service,

I recently decided to take my Omega Seamaster Professional (2531.80.00) to the Omega service center in Bangkok for a service.

I explained that the watch was running 7 seconds slow per day. They offered to inspect the watch, regulate it and advise me as to whether a service was needed. It was explained to me that the watch could not be further regulated and was running slowly because it was ‘dirty’ and ‘in need of lubrication’. I was advised that a full service was required. I decided to think about it.

I was surprised to find that my Omega was now running 10 seconds slow per day over the next few days. This seemed strange and so I decided to buy the tools required to open my Omega (a genuine case holder and opener).

Having opened the case I discovered that my watch seemed to have been regulated to run slowly. The regulator adjustment screw was turned to half a click slower than the middle setting. I moved the screw to one click faster than the middle setting and re-cased it (it is now running consistently 1 second slow per day). The movement was exceptionally clean and showed signs of lubrication on all visible pivots and jewels.

I subsequently tested the watch in each of the five positions proscribed by COSC (dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down, crown left) over the course of 5 x 24 hour periods. Accuracy was measured against the atomic clock. I discovered that the watch is running well within COSC specifications.

As you might imagine, this experience has greatly shaken my confidence in Omega servicing. I would be grateful for an explanation.

Sincerely

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE