The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: An omega seamaster I bought
In Response To: An omega seamaster I bought ()

Hi Sarah,

Looks to be a Seamaster maybe mid 50s. Is it gold or Stainless (looks to be Stainless steel)? Is the caseback snap on or screw down and can you get the back off? If you could get the numbers from inside the caseback and the caliber # & serial # we could be of more help to you. If its a snap on back, you should be able to get a fingernail or small knife under the lip on the caseback and work it off. Its not too hard. If its a screw down back, I recommend you wad up a bunch of tape into a ball and press down on the back and turn. It might be a little hard at first, but once it gets moving, it will unscrew pretty easily. Just be careful to not touch the movement with the caseback when you take it off. Turn it face up and the back will come off in your hand. Dont worry, the movement won't fall out.

My guess at it would be a caliber 500-automatic, with caseback ref #2846-2848. The dial has been refinished to black. Most likely that dial was solid silver or 2-tone brushed/polished silver originally. The crown stem looks to be bent which may or not be a big issue. Overall, the case seems to be in decent shape. That speidel band is not original to the watch. They came with leather straps. Most likely the watch would need a service also. You can probably get the dial refinished to the original color. Not too expensive. To service the watch and get it back to nice shape, looking at probably $250-$300 or so plus the redial(maybe $50-$100 if you want do it). Nice leather strap and new buckle maybe another $50-$100.

I hope you didn't pay too much for it. The going rate for Stainless steel, cal 500 pieces in that condition is around $150-$200.

Messages In This Thread

An omega seamaster I bought
Re: An omega seamaster I bought
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE