The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Great Editorial, Sam

Interesting points, Sam . . . as always.

No doubt, there are fewer "Look what I bought" posts . . . also less of the sentiment that you can buy anything, and if you don't like it, sell a few months later for some small profit. Everything seems slower to move more slowly now; more caution in buying; etc.

I also wonder whether -- after 10 years of such widespread internet use, with a vast expansion of available information and the power of Google -- there are fewer questions to ask and answer about watches, so fewer posts on these forums from people seeking information. So if we have fewer "look what I bought" messages, and fewer "seeking information" messages, then the volume will decline.

I enjoy these forums when they are busy; I also like the quiet times to catch my breath and write in other formats, take photos, do research, etc. . . . it's nice not to be concerned about hits, visits, advertisers, links, etc. Yes, it's fun to have more participants and more good discussions, but it's also nice to have some quiet time.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Jan's point is a little less narrow than you interpreted. When you
: read posts about new purchases considered, about long-time
: desires for grail watches and what I just bought, it pushes some
: of your buttons. Maybe not very hard, but it does push them.

: Not too long ago, you had a "Jones" for a new watch. A
: relatively ill-fated "Jones", in that the watch
: purchased required several additional purchases to satisfy you
: and then didn't stay around even 6 months. Economically, I am
: sure you did OK on the watch -- the point is it wasn't a keeper.

: So, the question I would ask you to consider -- where did the
: "Jones" come from? Whether you admit it or not, I
: suspect you had been on the forums reading about new purchases
: and as a consequence . . . . . or do you want us to believe you
: had been in a cave with no contact with other WIS and all of the
: sudden said "I need a new watch"? Some of that
: "Jones" came from the forums or your friends (and
: siblings) buying watches . . . . .

: But I could be wrong. . . . but I don't think so.

: Sam

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE