The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Traffic down at all watch forums - how many watches boug

: Jan's point is a little less narrow than you interpreted. When you
: read posts about new purchases considered, about long-time
: desires for grail watches and what I just bought, it pushes some
: of your buttons. Maybe not very hard, but it does push them.

: Not too long ago, you had a "Jones" for a new watch. A
: relatively ill-fated "Jones", in that the watch
: purchased required several additional purchases to satisfy you
: and then didn't stay around even 6 months. Economically, I am
: sure you did OK on the watch -- the point is it wasn't a keeper.

: So, the question I would ask you to consider -- where did the
: "Jones" come from? Whether you admit it or not, I
: suspect you had been on the forums reading about new purchases
: and as a consequence . . . . . or do you want us to believe you
: had been in a cave with no contact with other WIS and all of the
: sudden said "I need a new watch"? Some of that
: "Jones" came from the forums or your friends (and
: siblings) buying watches . . . . .

: But I could be wrong. . . . but I don't think so.

: Sam

Well, there may be a very small amount of truth to that, very small. No way am I going to say I
don't "Jones" for a watch, or watches in general. After a day of thought, I've come up with the
answer. Opportunity. Let's examine the purchase you mention: It was a 3536 Aquatimer in Ti. Now
I've admired that watch for quite a while, however, No way I'm spending 4 grand on a watch with
an unadorned 2892 powering it.However if you offer me the watch for 2 thousand dollars, it becomes
a "jones"
Let's look at my latest purchase: I would not look twice at a platinum wristwatch, simply because
of the cost. There it was, resting comfortably in the pre-owned case at the Big T. It did not call my
name as I pasted the counter. Nothing, not a peep. I'd seen it several times while browsing in the
store, with you, as I recall. Never looked at it twice.
Enter the "phone call"........"Hey Dave, The Big T is having a Red Tag sale"......."What's that, Sam?"
..."Everything pre-owned is half price".......I feel some "Jonesing" going on..Then they offer to give me
big bucks for my beat up Dweller, Now I really got the "Jones". I now have the opportunity to purchase a
patinum wristwatch. That coupled with the fact that I purchased that 3536 at a steal and will have no trouble
dumping it for twice what I paid for it, and did.
But I'm a little short on the money. I left a watch out. It's an IWC Mark XVI. I'd been looking at them for a
couple of years and really liked them. But I didn't like them 3800 bucks worth. I was offered one for 1600 bucks
Will ya look at that, another opportunity. I purchased it. Yeah, it was worn for less than a month. Why, you ask?
Because I had the opportunity to sell it, to fund another opportunity, in platinum.
Looking at others watches may get me stirred up a bit, but it doesn't get me "jonesing" for a new watch. But an
opportunity sure does.Ever noticed that more opportunities arise as the economy falls?.........David

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE