The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Quartz vs. Automatic....even more Thoughts

Yes, quartz movement watches are more accurate. However, eventually the quartz movement will "break". IE-the battery may leak if it remains too long in the watch fouling the entire movement or another part such as a tiny resistor may fail. When that happens, a watchmaker usually tries to replace the entire quartz movement IF such an exact match is still available. How about 50 years from now? I doubt it! On the other hand, a high quality Swiss (or German) automatic or manual mechanical watch movement is built to last several lifetimes if properly mantained (serviced every 3-5 years, not every year as you state). Keep the mechanical movement watch hidden in a drawer for 30 years and it will nearly always run after a service (sometimes without a service!). This is usually not the case for a quartz watch which may exhibit battery corrosion or other parts that have drifted in value). I personally consider the majority of quartz watches to be eventual throwaway devices. My father's 1937 Hamilton Brooke (USA, manual movement) I inherited is a beauty to behold and will continue to run long after I'm gone as long as it is periodically serviced. I don't have the same confidence that a quartz watch would be able to maintain its original movement (or be able to find a replacement movement) 72 years down the road as my Dad's Hamilton has. So go on and enjoy your quartz watch(es) but in my eyes, a quartz watch will never hold the same value nor sentimentality for handing down to the next generation like a fine mechanical movement watch.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE