The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Winding my Seamaster Pro?

I have a winding question. I recently purchased a Seamaster Pro Automatic. It's the one with the 1120 movement, polished steel bezel, and electric blue dial. Love it, love it, love it. I've admired this watch for years and finally splurged on myself. It runs about +3 seconds per day, which in my mind is awesome cool. When I got it, I wound it about 40 turns and then wore it everyday for a couple of weeks during the day. It then stopped on me early in the morning before I got up. It promptly restarted when I rewound it. So here are my newbie questions. (1) Should I manually wind my watch once or so a week? While I wear it everyday, I do sit at a desk for at least 8 hours a day and I don't swing my arms around much. (2) If I should manually wind the watch, how should I do that? My last mechanical watch was a Timex I got for my birthday when I was 5 years old (after I could prove to my parents that I could tell time). That was about 40 years ago. My grandfather was an amateur watch/clocksmith, and I can't get out of my head his repeated admonitions to never ever overwind my tiny Timex. I remember his ritual of winding his watches a set amount of turns every day (one of which actually had a tiny skeleton key do the winding). I've heard that most modern automatics (including Omegas) have some sort of brake mechanism that will disengage the spring winding mechanism so you can't overwind it. Is that true? So what is the proper way to wind my super cool new watch? I looked through the forums for advice and could find none. However, in perusing the forums, I gleened that a lot of people get infected with the watch bug after purchasing their first automatic. It's already happened. I want another one. Why? I don't have either a clear or a good answer. I'd be perfectly happy wearing this watch everyday forever, yet I can't help from deviating down the sidewalk to "just take a look" at every jeweler I pass by. However, I'm wise enough to know that I'd better come up with a good answer for my wife before I dare come home with another new watch on my wrist. Thanks for any input you are able to give on the winding question.

Messages In This Thread

Winding my Seamaster Pro?
Re: Winding my Seamaster Pro?
Re: Winding my Seamaster Pro?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE