The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Good Discussion, Guys

I'm glad that this thread has been discovered, as I think that it's an interesting topic.

Using the customary automotive analogy, Sam seems to be saying that when the Kias and Hyundais aren't selling at the dealers, we can expect to see them being sold at the same auctions that previously featured only the vintage Ferraris and Jaguars. It's a channel for the Kia dealer to use, and the venerable auction house has some room on the sales lot and gets some "filler" (and fees).

The strangest thing is imagining the "overhead" involved in selling these Kias through the fancy auction house -- what are the costs of accepting, processing, photographing, printing, writing, handling, tracking, displaying, etc. these $400 watches? Maybe the commissions cover these costs, and the auction house gets to say that it sold 400 lots, instead of only 325 lots, but it is a very strange sight to see the Kia behind the velvet ropes, where we once saw the Bugattis and Aston Martins.

Yes, the world has changed . . . I suppose that the auction houses are happy to cover the payroll and rent . . . and I assume that the TimeZone affiliate, even with the reduced traffic and advertising, can still afford the monthly hosting fees. This is an awful economic cycle, and if these changes in the vintage watch world are the worst things that we are suffering, then we have a lot to be thankful for. The camaraderie of our collecting communities continues to be strong . . . something to appreciate and enjoy.

Good discussion, guys!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I missed this post, likely when I was (once again) out of the
: country on business.

: The replies make points with which I generally agree.

: Have you ever heard the expression "a sea change"?

: It is is a poetic or informal term meaning a gradual transformation
: in which the form is retained but the substance is replaced, as
: with petrification. The expression is Shakespeare's, taken from
: the song in The Tempest, when Ariel sings,

: "Full fathom five thy father lies,
: Of his bones are coral made,
: Those are pearls that were his eyes,
: Nothing of him that doth fade,
: But doth suffer a sea-change,
: into something rich and strange,
: Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell,
: Ding-dong.
: Hark! now I hear them, ding-dong, bell."

: I think we have undergone a "sea change" in the watch
: marketplace, in watch collecting and in our overall attitudes
: towards economic matters.

: We, as a country, in the United States, no longer believe we can
: live "rich" with debt and not have to "pay the
: piper". The piper has been here and played a tune that
: reminded many of us to live within our means -- and to pay down
: debt. Watch collecting with anything but truly disposable income
: seems very inappropriate.

: We do not lack optimism, but is deferred; we realize good times are
: a few years off. After good must come bad, bad has come and is
: here for a while.

: So good collectible watches are not being sold, and I disagree with
: the article and some views -- prices of even good pieces are
: down. Jewelers and watch dealers are going out of business,
: reducing inventory and downsizing next year's order. So, some of
: these watches are being dumped at auction houses.

: However, 25 or 75 new watches in an Antiquorum auction is a tiny
: fraction of the slow moving inventory at jewelers in even 5
: states in the US, let alone the entire world. It is unusual, but
: not huge.

: Sam

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE