The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Good Discussion, Guys
In Response To: Re: Good Discussion, Guys ()

: I believe that Sam is still feeling the sting on the premium and
: shipping Dave, maybe even speechless........which is saying
: something for Sam.
: I understand what you are saying about stated prices and the
: additional charges they stack on you. Who really reads that
: stuff anyway?
: I would, only because I'm scared of being screwed, but most
: probably wouldn't sit there and read every bit of the small
: print.
: Its called shock, you bid $10,000 on that watch, you go to check
: out and BAM!!!! now its $12,500..............
: It seems as if they hang so much crap on the end of the sale, an
: affordable watch just became unaffordable. It happens.
: Sorta like Fleabay sellers with inflated shipping, buy a $100 item
: and the scammer charges $80 shipping.

: jim

Ever hear of sales tax? It's not listed as part of the price, but it sure doesn't "shock" you. Sales taxes can add 10% or more to the cost of an item -- 15% or more if it is a VAT. It's part of the freight you have to pay to purchase most things. Sales tax is different from county to county and city to city. Some items are free of sales taxes in many jurisdictions. So you shop to minimize sales taxes or you just calculate how much it is and include it in your thinking.

Auction houses and their fees are no different. All you have to do is read or ask, and all is revealed. The costs are different per location and item purchased. The additional costs above the hammer price are not secret. Either the item is worth the total price that you pay or you shouldn't bid.

To bring this discussion back to the original point Jeff raised, why would anyone buy a commonly available new watch from an auction house and pay the additional costs associated with purchasing at an auction? They probably shouldn't, and I won't be doing it.

I have purchased a total of nine watches from Antiquorum, with full awareness of the costs and Antiquorum's shortcomings.

-- All were at least 10 years old, and all but one more than 25 years old and ranged up to over 60 years old.
-- If I tried to find any of these watches to purchase today, most I couldn't find at all and if found, would not be in the same condition as the examples I purchased.
-- I handled or handled and opened 7 of the 9 watches (and the two I didn't may be the best bargains of the purchases -- but I took a chance). Don't buy from Antiquorum unless you can see it and handle it.
-- I overpaid for 5 of the watches, knowingly, as it was during the Omegamania auction. Even so, I could get my money out of two of those pieces easily . . . .

Would I buy at an auction again? Yes, but I would do so with increased caution. I think auctioneers questionable ethics within their business model have been stretched by current conditions, and my sensitivity to fraud is thus increased.

Lately, I haven't found anything in the auctions that meet my criteria -- interesting, rare and in good condition, and in a price range I can afford. The pickings are slim, frankly.

Any other thoughts?

Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE