The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Going overseas to a different time zone

I have been traveling overseas for a couple of weeks at a time since May. My destination is Atlantic Time, one hour east and one hour ahead of Eastern (US) Time. During the summer, due to the US being on daylight savings time, the two time zones were the same. Since early Sunday morning with the US time change back to Standard time, now they aren't. I have to pack this evening for the trip on which I leave tomorrow.

So, I am using this as an excuse to trot out my dual time zone display and GMT watches, as I will take one or more of them with me on this trip.

But a couple of questions:

My location (hotel) is secure with an in room safe, and I do not travel into any unsafe areas. Security is a concern in this country, but we are adequately protected and neither street or hotel robbery is a concern. How many watches would you take on a trip for 10 days (9 nights)? I'm in the tropics in a dress shirt, slacks and tie 8 days, a bit more casual the other two.

Is a one hour time difference enough to require the use of a dual time zone watch for you? It really isn't for me, but I worked in one time zone and lived in another for about three years a while back. I just want to wear one of these watches:

The oldest watch I have with multiple time zones, rather than a dual time display is this 1953 Tissot Navigator

The center dial moves at a 24 hour pace. This was a large watch for the era, at about 36mm, so it wears well today

If I were willing to flip sides, this 1981 Omega Equinoxe could be a choice; but I think that might be too much trouble

This 1989 Seiko, which is probably the watch I have owned the second longest, is perfectly servicable and will display dual times (if I can remember how)

The X-33 is an obvious choice

If I choose to wear French cuffs, these two can fill the bill

Something I have been known to use them for in the past

The first true "GMT" watch in this grouping, and a classic

Another option is the little seen and relatively subtle Deville Coaxial GMT

A closer look

Surprisingly durable, this watch offers a listed 100M water resistance without a screwdown crown, suitable for a frosty dip

Of course, I could just wear two watches, borrowing from the cufflink idea.

So which one or ones should I take?

Sam aka Hewybaby

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE