The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Seamaster or not?
In Response To: Seamaster or not? *PIC* ()

: Hi,

: I'm pretty new to all this watch stuff. Never really got worked up
: about it before, but that's all changing.

: I have my 2001 Schumacher speedmaster which is never off my wrist.

: However, that's where my knowledge of Omega ends.

: I've been offered what I've been told is a 1947/8 Seamaster 14kt
: Gold Filled.
: Sounds nice but when I held the watch I wasn't too sure.
: It feels very light, almost plasticy to my rather large hands.
: It also sounds very tinny when winding.

: Would this description fit watches of this era?
: It is almost unmarked and has apparently just been serviced by an
: Ex-Omega employee.

: movement: 11155337 --- indicates approximate age of movement 1949
: case: wadworth

: DW,2402 --- Omega case reference number

: T 742538 -- a case serial number of Wadsworth, useless for identification

: What do you guys think?
: I've searched the net but can find nothing like it.

: Cheers

: Steve

The watch is likely a "US Collection" watch, imported uncased by the Omega's US distributor Norman Morris and cased in the US to avoid import duties.

The dial has been refinished, and is a less than outstanding example. This model watch was not a Seamaster, and that text was inappropriately added, as the crowding of the text attests. Black faced watches were not common in the era of this watch.

Here is the entry from the Omega Vintage Database, available online. My explanatory comments are in red, both above and below.

Gents' leather strap
Reference
OJ 2402 --- the case reference number "digits" match; see comments below

International collection
1943 --- Date the watch model appeared in a catalog per OVD research; this date is clearly incorrect and too early; probably should be 1949

Movement
Type: Automatic (mechanical)
Caliber number: 342 / 344
Cal. 342
Created in 1949, 17 jewels --- reason that the watch couldn't have existed prior to 1949; its "engine" first came available then
Cal. 344
Created in 1953, 17 jewels, COSC

Functions
Subsecond

Case
14K solid gold -- see note on gold filled variation below

Case back
Press-in
Full metal
Dial
With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands.

Crystal
Hesalite --- a brand name of acrylic; basically a plastic used since the 1940s, which contributes to the "warm look" of vintage watches; easy to scratch and easy to polish scratches out

Bracelet
Leather

Water resistance
No (hermetic crown)

More product information
Case : round (32,5 mm diameter), 14K solid yellow gold
For leather straps of 17 mm lug-size
International Collection : 1943-1954
Swiss retail price (1949) : CHF 411.-
Also available in stainless steel (CK 2402, CHF 172.-), goldcap on stainless steel with SS case back (CO 2402, CHF 225.-), 14K gold-plated - 80 mic. (DW 2402, CHF 230.-), 18K solid gold (OT 2402, CHF 476.-).
Later replaced by watch ref. 2821
JLM

The movement serial number suggests the watch dates from about 1949; the number could be as early as 1947, but the movement was not produced until 1949.

A thumbnail evaluation, using my personal criteria regarding vintage watches, which are roughly these points.

The movement is the most important part of any vintage watch and is the entire purpose of the watch.
The next most important feature is the face and hands. Originality is overrated unless you want the watch to look 60 years old, and I don't mind a good dial refinish and replaced or polished hands.
The condition of the case is next, and must be reasonably dust and watch resistant, and gold filled should not be worn through, which often happens.
Vintage watches were usually much smaller and lighter than today's behemoths, as in that era, miniaturization was an accomplishment.

The watch you are considering has a fine movement, as the 342 and 344 were some of the best of their era. It could be in fine working order, or it could be very inaccurate due to "wear parts" not replaced. Automatic movements were new techonology and relatively expensive during that era.

The face is a poor refinish of what was an expensive face for the era (the gold applied markers were uncommon and more costly). The Seamaster on the dial is completely bogus. Black is often used for cheap dial refinishes as the thick glossy black material used covers any imperfections and gives a smooth surface. The hands are appropriate for the era and watch.

I can't tell you much about the condition of the case, but you should examine it carefully. However, Omega 80 micron cases (note above) were uncommonly thick in gold for the times and uncommonly resistant to wear and almost all I have seen have survived well for 50 or more years.

This is a 32.5 mm wide watch in an era where most watches are 39 mm to 42 mm. The classic dress watch size was 35 mm. A watch that small, in a base metal case with gold fill will be considerably lighter than most steel watches of today, like your Schumacher.

Wear what you like. If you like the watch, get it, but realize better examples are readily available if you look. Omega produced millions of watches in this era and they are not hard to find. It should not be expensive -- less than US$500 for sure.

Messages In This Thread

Seamaster or not? *PIC*
Re: Seamaster or not? *PIC*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE