The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Help needed! Planning to get a pre-owned Omega

: Hi,

: I'd love to get opinions about this:

:
: http://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/omega-seamaster-damenuhr-585---gelbgold---57-gramm--id1577132.htm?comingFromRewrite=1&id=1577132&picnum=1&tab=details

: Do you think the seller is reliable? What do you think about the
: watch itself? Is it a good investment?

: Thanks!

First, let me "define my terms": no watch is a "good investment", if you define an investment as something on which you expect to earn a positive return.

However, if your question is "is this watch a good purchase, which will give me value and service for my money?", we can try to answer that question.

If one is looking to purchase an automobile, you (may) consider the materials (more for leather interiors), the powerplant (more for more powerful engines), the reputation (more for certain nameplates), the design (more if the design is popular), reliability (more for more reliable) but ultimately it is about if you like the automobile and if it makes sense to you.

Let's apply that thought process to this watch:

Materials are 14k gold, or 58.5% of the case and bracelet weight is supposed to be gold. The watch weight is 55 grams. Let's deduct 10 grams for the weight of the movement, etc., leaving 45 grams. 45 grams * 58.5% = 26.3 grams of gold, which is 0.85 troy ounces (which are 31.1 grams) at current prices of about US$1400 per troy ounce or about $1,185 of gold. This bit of information only really tells you roughly how much of a premium you should put on a gold watch versus one in stainless steel, based on the price of the gold content. It does not consider the rarity (if any) of a gold watch.

Quartz movements are far cheaper than mechnical movements; say a cost of $200.

Omega has a fine reputation, which will cause a premium in the price.

You obviously like the design.

Omega quartz watches are notably reliable and easily repaired if not.

You like the watch and you want it to make sense to you. The cost of the components should make the watch cost almost US$1,400; you have to decide if the cost of the enjoyment and use you will get out of it make up the difference.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE