The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Titanium vs. Stainless
In Response To: Re: Titanium vs. Stainless ()

: The steel used by Omega and Rolex have
: the EXACT same hardness. See the link below
: for the specifics.

Sorry, but that link doesn't support that claim. Can you refer to something which gives the HRC values?

Nor is hardness necessarily tied to the steel composition.

: The only difference in the steels used are that
: Rolex choses a mix that is slightly more
: long-term corrosion resistant, while Omega
: chooses one that is slightly more
: non-allergenic.

I've several things I'd like to comment on regarding that document.

While both 1.4435 and 1.4404 can be 316L, it doesn't seem like 1.4439 is the equivalent of 904L, instead it seems like it's 1.4539. Since 1.4539 and 1.4439 are quite different I think it needs to be clarified which is the steel used.

The differences between 1.4435 and 1.4439 are indeed minor when it comes to nickel content, the 12% vs 13% difference is insignificant compared to the usually allowed range of up to 2% difference in a certain steel quality. But there's a quite noticable difference in molybdenium content which makes them different both as regards properties and price.

904L on the other hand has about twice as much nickel and noticably more chromium than 316L and about as much molybdenium as 1.4439.

: I also have owned and worn a Rolex for years
: and find it scratches and scars like
: anything else.

This, and the rest you write, I do agree with.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE