The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Best way to fasten Seamaster clasp?

: Does it make a difference as to how you close the Seamaster
: Pro clasp when you put it on? I have fallen into the habit
: of squeezing the two buttons/plugs/whatever they are called
: in order to secure the clasp,

mee too!

but someone told me that is a
: bad way to do it. He suggested sticking my finger under the
: bottom of the clasp between the watch and my wrist and
: pushing down to close (but there isn't enough room between
: my wrist and the watch to do this). Yet another person told
: me to push down on the visible part of the clasp without
: squeezing the buttons or sticking my finger around the
: underside.

Can lead to spring wear, well the two things that clamp the knob. You can see them when you look into the hole the knob should go into.

Is there a "best" way, like putting on
: a pair of shoes? (You either use a shoehorn, or break the
: back of the shoes by shoving your heel in.) Many thanks.

Judson, I have looked at the Seamaster clasps more carefully. I have also written a comment to Derek once some time ago. I have learned that there is a difference between the titanium and the steel versions, many might not believe in or are not aware of. I have seen several titanium clasps, which in fact form due to first two pieces next to the clasp of the band a bow. By that I mean, that you have one chain segment to the left and to the right of the clasp. The steel versions (which one do you have?) of the regular seamaster I have tried at stores are not forming this arch. When you look at the closed clasp it will be in line with the first elements or lets say it this way, the first elements of the chain can be bend to form a line with the clasp. My clasp and the one of the titaniums I have tested all cannot be bend that high, so the clasp forms with the chain an arch.

Reason: The first pieces of the chain, well, the wrist band, are specially manufactured to fit next to the closed clasp. If they just bend to a certain degree upwards, then you cannot close the clasp by pushing it down, since the clasp will not reach the big knob. I also push and push and nothing goes.

I tried the steel one. The pieces bend enough that the clasp can reach the knob and my wrist, no arch. Just easy.

I am sending my titantium unit off to Omega, well, Swatch, because I broke a piece of my clasp and I am not satisfied with the durability of the titanium in general. I wish I would have bought a steel unit and I also which I could show you a picture of what I mean with the clasp and the chain froming an arch.

Hope you have a titanium version otherwise this whole thing doesn't explain anything to you ;-).

Cheers,

Andreas

Messages In This Thread

Best way to fasten Seamaster clasp?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE