The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: ETA Movements Cheap???
In Response To: ETA Movements Cheap??? ()

ETA is probably the single largest manufacturer of quality automatic movements.

While they may be inexpensive as compared to the inhouse movements of Rolex, Patek and others. They are not 'cheap' as in poorly made. The ETA 7750 Chrongraph movement as an example is probably used in scores of models from dozens of highly respected manufacturers with varying degrees of extra finish or modifications to the standard caliber.

Watches with the ETA 7750 caliber sell from around USD1500 to around USD 5000, higher for gold.

The ETA 2892 A2 is the base caliber used in the SMP. It is heavily modified for use in the SMP and has two additional jewels. (23 in all) It has been renamed the 1120 by Omega.

I don't recall the source of the following description of the Omega 1120. I hope I don't offend anyone by using it without permission.

"Besides polishing the parts, and adding the Geneve Wave decor, they add an Omega only rotor that rides a small ball bearing. They change the
automatic bridge with a their own gear-train and endshake corrector. Which in turn, reduces the height difference between the auxiliary reverser and rotor. This also allows the oscillating weight's gear to mesh more precisely with the click wheel. This modification reduces the rotor's play during movement, and also prevents friction against the plate. On a standard ETA ebauche, a metal seating is used to hold the
barrel in place. Omega replaces that, and uses two jewels to hold the barrel in place. This improves the constancy of the force flow and
ultimately produces a more accurate movement, and adds about 2 hours to the power reserve. And to top all that off, add pure gold inlaid
engraving for the writing"

Its actually a much more decorated caliber than the one used in the Rolex Sub. It is a more massed produced cal., which is part of the reason it relatively inexpensive. The actual manufacturing cost for a Rolex movement is probably not as high as you might think. In high end watches there is not always a direct correlation with the sum of the parts and overall quality.

: Someone I know who knows (claims to know?) a
: lot about mechanical watches told me ETA
: movements are among the cheapest mechanical
: movements available.

: Aren't ETA movements used in Seamasters
: professinals?

: What gives??? Please reassure me as to the
: price justification for an all-steel watches
: with one of these movements.

: Thanks

: Claude

Messages In This Thread

ETA Movements Cheap???
Re: ETA Movements Cheap???
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE