The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Derek, I have some questions for you...

Hi Derek,

I have a few general questions regarding Omega. Actually, the Seamaster-Chrono in particular.

1) Are Omega watches built by hand, or machine made? Hand built?

2) Is the Valjoux 7750 Chronograph movement modified at all for Omega specs, or is it rather "out of the box."

3) Does Omega build their watches all in one place, or are the major components sub-contracted--so to speak?

4) I've heard that Omega isn't the watch company it used to be. I don't know if this is true or not, but could you help clear the air as to what Omega still designs, fabricates & builds, and what [if anything] is sent out to other companies to complete? Kind of a more detailed question #3.

5) You know I am comparing the Rolex w/ the Omega. My problem is deciding which to go with. I know you stated that both watches are excellent choices, but I still cannot seem to decide. I have owned a Seamaster before, and have owned a Rolex, so this shouldn't be a hard task. The problem is deciding which watch brand to return to. I have people tell me Rolex sucks. Then again, I have people tell me Omega sucks. Sometimes I find it very hard to find objective advice or information through all the subjective context that flows into these forums. I don't collect, nor do I have any extensive knowledge about watches. I just love them, and when I am looking to buy one, I become VERY analytical as to quality, value, reliability, design, appeal, originality, innovation, etc... I know you have owned both watch brand before. In fact, you probably own both watch brands now, so I ask you for some objective advice. What can I ask myself [or research] that will enable me to make a decision? Another reason for the hard analysis is because once I do purchase a watch, I want to be certain I will want to keep it forever. Frankly, I am getting a little sick of going through "watch phases."

Thanks,
Brent Schultz

Messages In This Thread

Derek, I have some questions for you...
And here are some answers...
Regarding the 7750
Thanks Derek.
Re: Thanks Derek.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE