The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

What do you want one of those for???

: what to do! will the speedmaster last a life time : like a rolex will? hmmm...does anyone have any
: scientific documentation to support omega's
: supposedly "rolex caliber" movements/ overall
: make?

You are comparing two very different watches. What do you want a new watch for? Do you really need the 24-Hour hand? Do you really need a Chronograph? Do you really need the Triple Date? Regardless of the make I would think it would be beneficial to know what the next watch you purchase needs to have in order for you to "pull the trigger". At this point you are comparing to very different watches in terms of features. It's like comparing a Mustang to an Explorer. Two very different products.

As for your query about "scientific documentation" about Omega's quality... I am not aware of any, nor am I aware of any "scientific documentation" about Rolex's purported quality aside from Walt Odets article on TZ a while back. You probably won't like that article...

I can only speak of personal experience about the one Omega that I have owned for a _long_ time. I purchased an Omega Speedmaster Mark II from a pawn shop on State Street in Chicago during the Christmas season of 1983 for $115. I bought it as my "High-Risk Environment" watch which I wore as a work watch for the better part of 14+ years. During that time, aside from replacement bracelets the watch cost me exactly $5 to maintain. It kept great, near perfect, time and just ran and ran good. Last fall I had it serviced at a cost of $150. Despite the fact that it was continuing to run great I felt that it was long past time to have it serviced. The watchmaker stated that the c.861 movement (same as used in the moonwatch) was in great shape and a cleaning and lube was all that was necessary.

So I guess the question boils down to... Would an Rolex have performed as well? Maybe, maybe not. As I don't have any personal experience with Rolexes I really can't say. I know what the Omega has going through, and it has come through like a champ. It is possible maybe even probable that a Rolex could perform as well, I doubt even a new Rolex could have performed any better than my Pawn-Shop orphan Speedmaster has.

Seriously, if you are set on getting an Explorer and Walt Odets article doesn't bother you, then go for it. The sad thing is that unless you get both you never really know if you would have been happier with the other one.

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE