The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

You are not alone.... ( much more)

my number 581 of 1848 produced has the same effect. My watch is now 11 months old (see picture below) and the white gold 18K bezel has alot of fuzzy scratches.

You know what, it's normal. You have an "18K" white gold bezel. 18K is super soft and of course expensive. The complete Ti bezel with the white gold insert will retail for around 200$. I have had alot of conversations with Omega techs about the easy to scratch bezel and posted this already once, I recall even here. They didn't understand that I wanted to buy a replacement bezel. Guess why?.

I have made the following experience. I was cleaning the watch quite often and tried to get rid of the scratches and I got more and more. After some time I gave up and decided I might buy a replacement bezel after mine would be too much scratched. With the time I started to relax and I found out, that just certain direct light made the bezel look scratchy.

So, since then my arm sleeves have cleaned the bezel over several months and I realized it doesn't matter. I was in a restaurant this Monday with alot of indirect lightening and the watch looked like new, out of the box, like in the picture below. The pic is a couple of weeks old and the watch is already scratched, do you see any ???.

So relax. Wear your watch, get a Microlon sponge for servecing the Titanium once in a while. To anybody else your watch will look awesome.

Other 18K watches I saw scratch as well. An 18K used Rolex Daytona looked in a shopping window also "beaten up". Any jeweler will tell you that soft gold will scratch. That's why they often recommend to couples golden mariage rings in 555 instead of 18K, because they sustain better. As said scratches in 18K will soften themselves with time and wear.

Kind regards,
Andreas

PS: Omega uses high spinning pollishing wheels for servicing scratches. Some will go off, some deeper stay in the bezel, but get softer. After one, shortly before the guarantee expires I would send it in for a check and they will do your bezel for free, if you ask them. Omega rules.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE