The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Some new info on 1154 vs. 1164

Howdy everyone:

I've done some further research into this issue, by talking to the watchmaker at SGUSA, and I also received the following e-mail message from Omega.ch...

Thank you for your net message and your interest in our products.

The Calibre 1154 is in fact equipped with 25 jewels as well as calibre 1164.

The only difference between these two calibres is that calibre 1164 is
personalized for Omega (which was not the case for calibre 1154). That means
that the function of both calibres is the same but calibre 1164 comes with
the "Omega-finish", e.g. rhodium-plated with special Geneva wave decoration
etc.

Calibre 1154 has been replaced by calibre 1164 in 1992.

Should you need any further information, do not hesitate to contact us
again.

Best regards,
Susanne Wyss
Omega Product Development

The gent I spoke to in PA had a little more info, which was slightly confusing and hard to recall. He told me that both the 1154 and the 1164 were rhodium plated, (I have in fact seen an 1154 and it was a highly polished white mov't) but the quality of the plating on the 1164 was higher.

I wonder what this "personalizing" consists of? It could be anything from a significant reworking a la IWC, to a simple matter of signing the rotor...

The gent from PA also told me that all ETA markings have been removed from the 1164, whereas they are to be seen on the 1154.

As this all boils down, it seems that the jewel number is not the issue after all (though I still suspect it must have played some role...)

a la prochaine...

Mus.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE