The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

about accuracy

I've discovered this web site only two weeks ago: I think it's fantastic. Well done, Derek !!!
I've just sent a "FAQ" (Seamaster or Submariner?) and I must say thank you for your answer.
But at the same time I must say thank you to all people who reply about my question.

Reading some other "FAQ" I've found accuracy one of the most important themes: about this I can tell my personal experience.
Last Christmas my mother, sister and I have bought a Moonwatch for my father who, pay attention to this point, likes very much the accuracy of quartz watches.
He always says: "when I read the time on my watch I want to be sure that what I read is the right time and not, for example, +/- 5 minutes !"
I've tried many times to persuade him that a good mechanical watch have the right accuracy for everyday use but I always failed.
At that point, I said to myself, the only thing to do was to buy a mechanical watch for him.
Last Christmas was the right time.
When he opened the box he was very surprised and happy but only 3 seconds later he said: "it isn't a quartz watch !".
I immediately replied: "Of course, it isn't ! And it's a little piece of human history on your wrist. Don't worry if it isn't a quartz movement: try to wear it!".
"It's really beautiful" - he said - " but what about its accuracy ?"
I repeated :" Try to wear it !"

After two weeks my father said : "hey boy! look! In two weeks the watch is +5min 30 sec. You must be honest: a quartz watch is better than this".
"No problem " -I said- " and if there was a problem, well, I'll solve it!"

Mechanical watch sometimes require an adjustment.
First of all the same watch worn by two different persons can have different accuracy. It depends on many factor such as the movement you do during the day, in what position you store the watch when you put it down for the night, even the same heartbeat on wrist (quite different from person to person) can alterate the watch accuracy.
I note the weekly error of the Moonwatch compared with a radio-controlled clock for 5 week: then I've calculated that the medium daily error was +23 sec.
I carried the watch to the Omega retailer who sold it to me: he is a real gentleman and told me that the watch only needed a simply adjustment that he made completely free !!
Now my father is totally satisfied with is Moonwatch: "it's beautiful, full of charism and ...very accurate !!"
He has forgotten his old quartz Breitling ...

The same exceptional man who adjusted my father's Moonwatch did the same thing with my Hamilton Chronograph (self-winding movement) one years ago. I was given that watch in September 1989, when I was only 16: I chose it because it was very beautiful and, last but not least, it was mechanical.
I think that "tic, tic, tic" sound of a mechanical watch is so poetic and fantastic ...
Well, my Hamilton, after ten years on my wrist (it seems still new !!!) needed a total check-up.
Now it is running very well and, this is the pure truth, it medially works with +10sec/week error !!

P.S. first of all forgive me if my English isn't perfect.
Then who have a Speedmaster Professional go immediately to http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/4145/

See you all soon,

Luca, Como (Italy).

Messages In This Thread

about accuracy
Re: about accuracy
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE