The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Compare and contrast...
In Response To: Re: Compare and contrast... ()

Re: Compare and contrast... Posted By: John Rochowicz Date: 12/28/05 21:30 GMT

In Response To: Compare and contrast... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

I'm really enjoying this thread, guys. Keep debating - I'm learning a lot.

I dunno, sounds like we are agreeing a lot with Georges last post...

Based on this thread, though, can I ask two questions:

1) Would you both agree that if I wanted a manual wind chronograph, the Lemania movement in the Moon Watch is the best one out there?

At this point as far as currently available manual wind chronograph movements it's neck and neck with the Zenith Prime and El-Primero HW movements. So it doesn't have much competition as the only other manual-wind chronographs I am aware of on the market currently are the Valjoux 7758 and 7760's which are 7750 based. I'd put the Zenith's and Lemania based watches above the Valjoux.

I personally feel the (admittedly not in current production) TAG-Heuer Carrera reissue (the original Manual Wind version) as a "you pick 'em" with the moonwatch in terms of competition. The Carrera is smaller more dressy, the Speedmaster a little brawnier and larger.

For a discussion of chronograph movements, and to keep your interest going, I'll include a tread I reposted from a discussion Georges and I had nearly two years ago on the topic here for your viewing pleasure:

Reposting of thread snippet from Vintage Omega...:

2) I have read both good and bad things about the Valjoux 7750,

I've read a lot of varying mileage on the 7750 too. Most of the complaints about the 7750 involve it's being so commonplace, assembly line production, boring, etc. There is one legitimate complaint about the 7750, apparently... There is a spring in the 7750 that is difficult to master for watchmakers. This is mentioned in an HR:Watches article from a couple of years back, which I archived for further research purposes:

and I'm not very impressed by those in my father's Breitlings (the pushers feel "mushy").

The applause/blame for pusher feel are nearly always a result of the design of the case and pushers in the case, not the movement. One of my crispest pusher action in a watch is my Beater 5100 Heuer that cost me about $400, and a c.1381 Lemania (a hybrid between c.321 and c.861 traits) in a Tissot Seastar that cost me under $200. Pusher feel often has more to do with a movement's surrondings, than the movement itself.

Who makes the best, most extensively modified 7750 I'm guessing it is Omega for use in the Bond SMP chrono)?

Ok, first off most extensively modified and best aren't necessarily the same thing. Another term is extensively finished. I feel, and this is my opinion folks, that Ikepod and Fortis are in the top tier when it comes to extensive modifications to the 7750 in terms of features. I feel that in terms of extensively finished the 38 Jewel version of the 7750 fielded by Ventura, which is COSC rated BTW, probably get's the nod as most extensively finished. Having said those things, the 1154 in the Omega Seamaster Pro Chrono is an excellent example of the 7750 and the most popular of the high-grade 7750's.

Hope this is useful/interesting...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE