The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

New SMP? Read this (long).
In Response To: Re: Thanks Derek, also also... ()

: Is +2 seconds/day considered "good"? All
: other things being equal and knowing the
: problems my watch has (calendar off-changes
: at 12:40, clasp springs pins stay stuck
: in-clasp pops open), with your expertise in
: watches would you hold on to this watch or
: exchange it? (It is a new watch purchased
: from an authorized dealer).

+2 sounds good to me. 12:40 doesn't though, and neither does that clasp. But read on . . .

I swapped my SMP quartz for a new SMP chronometer about six weeks ago, and was quite prepared to allow it a few weeks to "break in" before really assessing the accuracy. But it continues to lose 4 seconds every day, irrespective of positioning. Now, as Derek says, -4 is within the COSC spec of -4 to +6 secs per day, but I am still a little disappointed by this, especially when so many others report 0 to +2 as the norm for SMPs. Nevertheless, I initially decided I could live with it (I mean, what's four seconds?), and also with the date change being off (mine changes at about 11.55pm), and figured I'd maybe send it back to Omega just before the warranty was up.

But then, a few days ago, I was in a litle old watch-repairer's shop in town (not my Omega dealer, I was just in having a strap fitted to another watch), and he noticed my shiny new SMP and asked me about it. I told him what I've told you, and he rolled up his sleeve to reveal a vintage "bumper" Omega, which he said had run at +1 sec per day since the day he inherited it. He said that I had every right to be disappointed with -4 secs/day from a modern Omega chronometer, and that, in his opinion, there was never any excuse for any watch running slow -- COSC or no COSC. He said that Omega too would be disappointed by the watch's performance and that I should send it back to them right away.

And so I rang Omega's service dept here in the UK, and they agreed with the old watchmaker, and they positively urged me to return the watch to them. I sent it to them, insured Royal Mail, on Tuesday. Today I received a letter from them promising that they would give the watch the "necessary corrective attention", and get it back to me within ten days. Once again, Omega showed themselves to be among the cream of the crop when it comes to treating their customers better-than-well. My advice to anyone who is less than delighted with their new watch is to talk to Omega. They'll bend over backward to make you happy, trust me.

So watch this space, fellow zOwie-types, and I shall post a follow-up when I get my beloved SMP back . . .

(Sorry for rambling.)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE