The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: New Style Speedy Day-Date
In Response To: Re: New Style Speedy Day-Date ()

: Hi Nafees,

: Omega web site is updated (finaly), and now
: only those new style Day-Dates are
: available.

: Have you managed to get any info on 3606
: movement? I want to buy old style Day-Date
: (cal 1151), but now I'm afraid they aren't
: available anymore?

: Cheers

Hi Emil,

Thanks for that update. I noticed that too a few days ago when browsing their website. The model is due for release early 2007, however....I am wearing one on my wrist as I type...I think I may be one of the first in the UK to have this particular watch! My AD said that although the website has changed, it is often a few months before the stores have them...they haven't had word from the Omega rep as to when they will get theirs! I obtained mine from Omega directly as they had boobed the repair job on my cal. 1151 day-date so many times from new (bought in June 06, with problems with the crystal...do a search for my name and you'll find the whole story). Omega kindly offered to replace it with the new style model.

So onto the movement. Information from my source at Omega Easteigh reveal that like the 1151, the 3606 is a self-winding movement. It has 25 jewels. The power reserve is 44 hours. The base movement is the ETA 7751, like the outgoing day-date. So far, so good with me, but as with cal.2500 (used in the SMP and other Omegas) there may be teething issues. I however have been assured by several "big-wigs" both in the UK and Switzerland that there ought not be problems. The chronograph runs sweetly and the unit is keeping time well within COSC specs. I have however only had the watch since Dec 23, and was only able to have the AD size the bracelet today! It has been running though since I got it.

Short of that I really can't say any more. The decision to get the new or old will depend on a number of factors: cost (the new model costs GBP 325 more), availability and bottom line, which of the two you actually like. With the new watch, the case is 1mm larger, the water resist is increased, and it is COSC certified, along with the other changes which you have read about. One other thing, the bracelet on the new unit is similar to the style of the Broad Arrow range and feels far more substantial on the wrist than the old version...I has a two button release, compared to the single button on the old one. The caseback is different also, with a larger hippocampus and an "Omega World" counterfeit insignia on the rim.

I don't think you'll go far wrong buying the day-date, new or old version. I would imagine that there will be plenty of old-style models out there as Omega clear their stock pile...like what is happening with the old Bond SMP. I wouldn't worry too much about not getting hold of one. I would urge you however to look at the new model alongside it if you are able...the changes may sway your decision. I hope I have been of help. Good luck!

Nafees

PS I'll post pics of my ever growing collection (had no Omegas in June 06, now have 3: 2220.80.00, 3570.50.00 and the 3221.30.00) once I get hold of a camera that will do the images justice!

Messages In This Thread

New Style Speedy Day-Date
Thanks Nafees
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE