The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I think the problem is bigger than this.
In Response To: Re: Omega rubber straps ()

I'm not a manager. I don't make big decisions. At work, I'm a small fish in a very BIG sea.

But I do work for some large international customers who have plants/divisions in China.

What I see is a lot of experience, knowledge & machinery going to China. The chinese are not stupid, the look at, study, learn & copy everything.

(BTW a recent study , in Germany, shows that 2/5 companies that "expand" into China, give up, close the Chinese plant & come home again within 2 years - rumours are that the management at most of the other firms would rather make a loss & hide the problems, rather than admit they made a mistake)

Currently in the watch world they are basically happy to "learn" & practice by copying any watch they can. Eventually they will have enough experience & know-how to be able to make a watch everybit as good as most swiss watches.

What will be "missing" is the name or reputation, But lets say, for the sake of arguement, they buy a large Swiss manufacturer, close down the Swiss plant & then start selling the watches that are made in China, using the same name. Do you think that most end customers will know/care/boycott them ?

Some of the mighty Swiss names almost disappeared in the 70's during the quartz crisis. Imagine what could happen if somehow the Chinese found enough money to start buying swiss companies ( I'm sure it is in the Chinese governments interest to do this ) & force a kind of mini-Quartz crisis. eg by selling very higfh quality & highend watches at low-end prices.

You don't think this is possible ? Who owns IBM PC's now ? - Yep they are Chinese owned.

IMHO the Chinese fakes are a problem that will only get a lot worse in the future.

S.

Messages In This Thread

Omega rubber straps
Re: Omega rubber straps
I think the problem is bigger than this.
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE