The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

New Soon-to-Be Omega Owner

Hi all,

Had a great time perusing this forum!

I am now - finally - breaking away from my trusty, incredibly accurate and reliable $30 Timex and looking at a steel blue face AT, either 2503.80.00 or 2517.80.00. Love the look (if not the arrow on the minute hand)

So many questions:

- I am in the Northern CA Bay Area (SF/SJ) and would like to know a reliable AD with decent prices that won't rip me off. When I see that Bailey, Banks, and Biddle is one AD I cringe and think - $$$$.

- What is a reasonable price for the quartz and chronometer standard size? Is the internet at all an option, or are the serial #s history?

- Still struggling over quartz vs. chronometer. Did all the reading here and not afraid to spend the extra cash. But, I do like accuracy and reliability, and not crazy about having regular, expensive service. Conversely, I like the automatic feature and not have to replace a battery. I assume the battery needs to be replaced by an AD and will be $$$. The co-axial technology sounds great, but I'm not totally hung up on it. Is the look, weight, feel, quality from the outside any different between the two? Any help?

- Are there two or three sizes? I read about two, but see "chronometer", "mid size chronometer", and "big size chronometer". I guess I would have to try on each to see which fits better?

- I am confused about the water resistance. It's supposed to go down to 150m, yet I hear not to wear it in the shower regularly or get it wet if you don't have to. What is the deal?

Before looking at Omega, I was actually considering a Seiko kinetic perpetual. It's a quartz, but automatic in that the motion charges the capacitor. It has a huge reserve (4 years) because it can actually stop the hands to save power, and will reset the hands when you shake it. And, the calendar is perpetual. Very slick. Wish Omega had that technology...an automatic quartz. But, you can't deny the style and reputation of Omega.

Thanks to the great people here to help me finalize my decision...looking forward to my first real watch...

Frank

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE