The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Great idea, with some additions...

Wednesday is "Interesting eBay" day *LINK* Posted By: SteveW62

Date: 4/10/07 10:41 GMT

Hi Guys,

This is an Idea that I've had for a while.

OK, we love good ideas, especially if they differenciate us from the competition!

I'm sure some/most of you spend as much time in eBay as I do. I see a lot of watches/auctions that I find "interesting".

Both “Interesting” and merely Interesting...

"Interesting" - I'm gonna define like this.... I look at it & say/think something like "What the Flip" or laugh or cry.

Those are Interesting...

Some of these are fakes ( good or bad ),

Those would be “Interesting”...

some of these are rarities, some of them are just so overpriced it is unbelievable.

Those are Interesting...

So, what I'd like to try/suggest is that we ACTIVLEY link to "interesting" eBay auctions. We don't have any sort of restricion policy on this here at Zowie, but lets make a feature of this every Wednesday.

Two changes... Items that we know are fake, unless we're posting the auction as an educational endeavour (like: ‘Real or Fake? You make the call and explain why you think that way.’) is titled within "Quotes" so it's status as a fake is well-known.

I am very aware that this could lead to "misuse" where some posters may just use this to "promote" their own auctions. I'm afraid that I will have to pull these kinds of posts, but as long as the watch /auction is "interesting" in someway, I'll let it go.

That would be the second... No active shilling of eBay auctions of items you're offering for sale.

Oh, and a third thing... We get to steal the idea for the OTD/Heuer forum as well.

Oh! and a fourth thing... At least in the OTD/Heuer forum the Interesting/“Interesting” eBay posts aren't going to be strictly limited to the brand the forum's oriented towards... In other words, posting an Interesting Gallet or Longines or ... would be permitted.

What do you think ?

I think it's a great idea. Other Forums ban all discussion of eBay (except if their corporate ownership is involved) or auctions, not only do we permit discussion, there are days we encourage it!

A great distinction!

Here's an example....

This watch is marked on the dial with some kind of company logo.

It's somewhat reminescent of:

the logo of the University of Minnesota Golden Hosers (whoops!) Gophers.

Or maybe it's not a M but a "delta-delta" perhaps it's some sort of a fraternity logo?

I reckon this is a "service award" watch, that was presented to some after X years service on apon retirement ( notice there are no engraving visible on the watch though ! ). I have a general brochure, featuring some examples of "Omega Special awards watches" which I'll add to my website oneday.

Perhaps this is one which was unsold, or unpersonalized.

Does anyone know which company awarded the watch ? ( I don't

You now have a couple of WAG's (Wild Arsed Guesses) from me!

Great idea Steve!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Messages In This Thread

Wednesday is "Interesting eBay" day *LINK*
Great idea, with some additions...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE