The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

WET[reat]? Sounds like a T[rick]...
In Response To: WET Wednesday.... *PIC* ()

WET Wednesday.... *LINK* *PIC*

Posted By: SteveW62 <Steve_Waddington@yahoo.com>

Date: 4/25/07 16:03 GMT

Hi Guys,

So, todays Wednesday's Ebay Treat is this one.... => 1st generation speedmaster CK2915

This watch has been discussed on some of the other forums.

It has the wrong dial.
The movement number is "somewhat" high for a CK2915-1.
I think the shape of the lume in the minute hand is wrong for a 2915 ( correct for a 2998 though )
The bezel look slike a modern "replica" bezel
It's on a NATO strap ( which looks too wide for the lug width )

The rest looks OK.

It sold for $22,000 so quite a bit LESS than the Antiquorum prices, but quite a bit higher than some recent CK2915's ( or at least towards the top end ). & don't ferget this is NOT all original...

I think this is possibly the first major watch to be affected by the Antiquorum prices.

I posted a rather lengthy post over on WUS on this one... I'll transpose it here for the peanut gallery...

Chicagoland Chuck Maddox Posts: I agree and disagree... Why? You'll have to read on...

Quote:

Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky

that watch is a waste of money

I agree. At the price point it's currently at [US $9,988.00] with 3h 53m left to go, it probably isn't a good purchase for anyone who seeks an original CK2915.

On the other hand... At a certain price point, to a certain purchaser, it is not a waste of money...

What ya' getting @ Maddox? Well, lets look at the watch...

Now I have never cared for either the Broad Arrowed hands nor the Shiny Silver Bezel of the CK2915, CK2915-1 and CK2915-2's and my interest in Speedmaster begins at the CK2915-3 which is, in all extents and purposes, possesses the same features as an early CK2998:

Which is why I own the above CK2915-3 instead of an earlier CK2915.

Since I have little or no interest in the early CK2915's, I really am not especially knowledgeable about the specific attributes of them. However, in looking at the pictures of the eBay offering an pictures of a real one:

The subdial hands, if stripped of the paint someone's added, may well be salvagable, as well as the main timekeeping hands. These hands look to my eyes to be closer to the original CK2915 hands than the Retro 1957's. So they, if salvagable, may be valuable.

The watch has a silver under crystal ring which was how the early Speedmasters were equipped..

The Bezel: I'm not conversant enough with what original examples of the early CK-2915's actually came with to say for certain either way if the bezel on this one is original or an Omega made replacement [from the late 1990's "Retro 1957" model] or one of the excellent remanufactured Bezels, like the one Gernot did a few years back. But that part certainly looks suspect, to me...

Let's look at the case...

Seems to be in pretty good shape and it is a "plain-lug/non-crown guard" 19mm lug case.

And the pushers seem to be the earlier smaller pushers, which are harder than hen's teeth to find.

On to the Movement:

Not the cleanest c.321 movement I've seen, but it isn't the dirtiest c.321 I've seen either, all the pieces that I'd expect to be there look to be there, it doesn't look abused [most of the screw heads look ok], it should clean up good. I think everyone will admit that a c.321 movement has some value and worth. Either as the motor behind a customized vintage watch, as a transplant to a watch with a rusted or thrashed movement, or for parts.

On to the caseback...

The inside looks ok, not great, but presentable for a nigh 50 year old caseback. and...

It is an early pattern double angle caseback as I'd expect a CK2915 to have.

So, what am I getting at?

Ok, for the collector whom originality is important, this CK2915 is a "must-pass" watch.

However, at a certain price point, below what this example is likely to sell for, it's worth considering for other types of vintage watch enthusiasts...

At a certain [lower] price point:

For someone who has a CK2915 that's missing some of the bits that is correct on this example, for whatever reason, it might be possible to use some of the parts off of this watch and redeem the other one. Especially if you don't have the right pushers or a marred case.

For someone who has a Rusted movement in a CK2998, this movement may even be proper for a CK2998 and your CK2998's salvation.

For someone who has a c.321 that's out of action because they can't source a certain part, this can serve as a self-contained, compact parts bin.

For someone looking to make a customized Speedmaster, say a "Red/Orange "Broad Arrow" c.321. This might be nearly all the bits one needs.

Also something to consider: Prior to Omegamania the closing prices on early CK2915's typically went for anywhere from around the $12,000 through $26,100 price point. I have archived eBay auctions in that range. With Omegamania, the values have skyrocketed. No one knows if those prices will prove out to be a blip, a new plateau, a trend, or just the start of a price spiral upwards.

But if those prices aren't a fluke and the "new standard" asking prices are similar to what the Omegamania generated.

While I wouldn't recommend this particular CK2915 to anyone, it's possible at the right [lower] price, and to someone who is looking for something along the lines I outlined above, the sow's ear that most/all of us might be throwing out the window with the bathwater, might, just might be the makings of a silk purse for someone.

Just thinking out loud...

-- Chuck

End of WUS post...

Yeah, I'd think this one enjoyed a bit of a post-Omegamania bump to it's value/price. Suffice it to say, I do not believe this item was a good deal at the price it closed at, but with the CK2915's offered at Omegamania going so high... It may not be as bad of a deal as I personally believe...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Messages In This Thread

WET Wednesday.... *PIC*
WET[reat]? Sounds like a T[rick]...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE