The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Hour Vision / 8500 - News!

Dear watch-friends

Yesterday I read the outcome of the first official test of the 8500 caliber which was published in the new "Chronos"-Magazine (edition May/June 2007), one of the most renowned watch magazines in the German language area, including Switzerland. I am no technician but would like to share some findings with you (of which some might already be common to you):

- Futher complications on the basis of the new 8500 will follow (yearly calendar, second timezone, big date, ladies version). The completion will be a 14-line chronograph movement presumably launched in three years, e.i. just before the olympic winter games in Vancouver (2010).

- The serial production has been running for month, in February this year already 5'000 movements were produced. First watches are being shipped to international ADs these days.

- The movement was built around the co-axial mechanism. The maxim was to build a durable, robust movement with working parts wasting as little energy as possible (minimal friction).

- The new pictures of the watch taken from other angles than the current promotions are simply stunning. The movement is really built into this inner, thick sapphire case which in turn is secured by the outer metal top and bottom. Looks gorgeous in my opinion.

- The rotor ball bearings are made of zirconium oxyde in order to minimize friction (I think, Jaeger-LeCoultre uses the same material).

- Winding the watch manually, the first of the two main springs will be wound up ("manual main spring"), the second will be wound up by the rotor ("automatic main spring"). The working movement then will take energy from the second main spring first. As soon as the stored energy between both main springs is equal, both main springs will release energy to the movement in parallel. Sorry, I am no technician. Total power reserve: 60 h.

- The main springs are coated by DLC (diamond-like-carbon) in order to minimize friction, e. i. to eliminate friction and wear at all! The balance wheel is hard chromium-plated (in black).

- The movement will be exceptionally service-friendly.

- Height of the movement 5.5 mm (steel), 5.6 mm (rose gold). Diameter 29 mm. 39 stones. 25'200 A/h (same as the 2500 C). New improved "Nivachoc"-shock restistance (by Nivarox). The escape wheel is made of a new alloy including more beryllium.

- The tested watch performed very well, even after 24 and 39 working hours the escapement performed within 0 and +5 seconds / day (in all different positions, in all different temperatures). The tested movement worked exceedingly well and was really perfectly regulated.

- The only negative point raised by the test team was the somewhat sturdiness of the crown-winding-mechanism.

- Quality of the case finish and clasp finish is high-end (of course). Case diameter: 41 mm, case height: 12.2 mm. Price of the cheapest model in stell with leather clasp: CHF 6'500 / EUR 4'510. This is around USD 5'000 (approx.).

- Cost/performance ratio is very good - in my opinion.

- Finally the tested watch achieved 94 of 100 points.

Maybe you were interested in learning these interesting results of the particular watch tested by the Chronos-test team.

Best regards,
Vorollo

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE