The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Did Ron Howard exaggerate Apollo 13? ...

"Did Ron Howard exaggerate the drama of the reentry scene in the movie Apollo 13?

A little bit, maybe, but not much.

By Joe Pappalardo

History is sometimes a tricky thing. And when you mix history with Hollywood, the truth can become a casualty—even in cases where movies take pains to be accurate.

The 1995 film Apollo 13 has been praised for its accuracy, but many people still wonder if director Ron Howard played up the tension among the astronauts and inside mission control to heighten the movie’s emotional impact. Bill Parkinson, an attorney working for the U.S. Department of Justice in Dallas, is one of the wonderers. “Apollo 13 portrayed the capsule’s reentry as protracted beyond all expectations,” he writes. “As a teenage junkie for all things aeronautical, I followed that flight and seem to recall that the flight’s descent path was shallower than ideal, and that the blackout period was indeed much longer than it should have been. [But] I’m certain the movie embellished the scenario for dramatic effect. Can you help before I tear out what little is left of my hair when the movie is on?”

We turned to someone who should be able to give us the straight scoop: Apollo 13 flight director Gene Kranz, now retired in Texas. (For those who don’t know, Kranz was the well-dressed character in the film played by Ed Harris.)"
http://www.airspacemag.com/issues/2007/april-may/NEED-Apollo13.php

Chris
http://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread

Did Ron Howard exaggerate Apollo 13? ...
I don't know, but I enjoyed the film ! *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE