The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Restoration of dial - photos and query

Hi There, restoration of a dial usually means refinishing the dial. There isnt much one can do with sun damaged dials, as your original appears to be, except make a choice to enjoy the patina or get it refinished. It looks quite a nice refinishing job to me.

Dials can be 'cleaned' only up to a point, and the standard is that you never apply any liquid cleaners to the dial as it will usually ruin it and at least take off the original protective lacquer or remanants of it.

With your other watch, the patina looks very even and frankly I think its a beauty as it is. A dial, most of all, is the visual record of a watch's life and history. From a collecting standpoint, refinished dials devalue the watch both in monetary and collecting appeal.

I have had dial 'stabilised' by going to a curator in ceramics at my local museum, and I've known of art restorers who've also been consulted to 'conserve' dials, but many people wear aged dials and enjoy them and leave them be.

I did a post on conserving, restoring or refurbishing dials that outlined the choices and consequences of each option. Ive added the link below.

Cheers

desmond
: I have posted some photos of a gold Omega watch
: which I had restored many years ago. There
: are some "before and after" shots.
: I would be grateful for any comment on
: whether this is a genuine
: "restoration" of the dial or a
: redial?

: The last picture is of an Omega Seamaster with
: a similar looking dial. I am thinking about
: sending it to the same place for restoration
: too. Any views would be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread

Restoration of dial - photos and query *LINK*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE