The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Chronostop running seconds

In the early 1970s I bought a new Omega Chronostop cal.920 with mesh strap. I believe it cost around £21 which I paid off in weekly instalments. Unfortunately I sold it in the late 1980s when I was seduced by a Cartier tank watch - now also long gone and not missed.

In the late 1990s I became addicted to the early LCD digital watches and worked my way through all the 1970s classics - Omega, Heuer, Braun etc. This period was followed by an interest in analogue electronic watches - Omega F300, Bulova Accutron etc. and this year I bought a couple of mechanical Omega Dynamics - one manual and one auto.

But I have now come full circle and recently bought a replacement Chronostop (cal.920) with the same mesh strap I had in the 70s!

I would like to know if this watch was designed to allow the second hand to run continuously? When I had my original one I always left it in the 12 o'clock position and nearly every picture of a Chronostop also shows the second hand at 12 o'clock. Would it cause premature wear or other problems if the second hand ran continuously?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE